"The petition was also promoted by the Republican National Committee on Twitter and its website". It did not indicate how many signatures had been received.
That announcement came at a meeting of team owners in NY in the wake of the ongoing protest controversy, which stems from free agent quarterback Colin Kaepernick's original protest of racial injustice by taking a knee last season during pregame performances of the national anthem. "What we try to do is deal with the underlying issue and understand what it is that they're protesting and try to address that matter".
In a later tweet, Trump suggested action needed to be taken in response to the large number of players who continue to protest during the national anthem.
Canadian Rescued From Taliban Has Complicated Ties to Osama Bin Laden
Meantime, Boyle's parents say they're waiting to find out precisely when their son and his family will be returning to Canada. It was a risky venture for any couple traveling without escort, especially since Coleman was pregnant with their first child.
Players kneeling during the national anthem are protesting at the killing of unarmed black men and boys by police across the United States, as well as racial disparities in the criminal justice system.
Earlier this week NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell met with about half of the NFL owners. The demonstrations began previous year with former San Francisco quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who has been unable to find a new team after leaving the 49ers.
More players have begun kneeling since Trump criticized the practice, and some sympathetic teammates have linked arms with the kneelers while standing themselves.
"I think our clubs all see this the same way - we want our players to stand, we're going to encourage them to stand and we're going to continue to work on these issues in the community", Goodell said Wednesday.
- GM owes CT, others $120M in ignition flap
- Obama picks Kehinde Wiley to paint official Presidential portrait
- Latest Windows 10 update rolled out
- Kyle Adam Maraghy's Lawyer Says Fan Punched Was Womanizing and Threatening
- Huawei opens pre-orders for Mate 10 with RM999 of goodies
- USTR's Lighthizer says White House not actively working to withdraw from NAFTA
- Facebook Launches New Feature For Ordering Food Within The App
- Ford Recalling 1.3 Million Pickups Over Door Issue
- Google Maps Nixes Mini Cupcake Calories Tracking Feature After Backlash
- Donald Trump won't be state guest as United Kingdom visit downgraded