The Orionids are best viewed from a rural location away from any light pollution. The 2017 edition reaches its peak on Sunday, October 22.
The moon is barely past its "New" phase.
It does not matter if you don't know how to find the Orion constellation, the sky would be dark enough because of the lack of moonlight due to the new moon and the meteor shower could be seen with the naked eye from a wide-open space.
The best time to view the meteor shower is between midnight and dawn on Friday or Saturday night from anywhere on Earth.
Go outside about 1:30 a.m. Let your eyes adjust to the dark.
"The Orionids are so named as they seem to originate, or radiate, from near the famous constellation Orion".
The Orionid meteor shower will peak over the weekend and it looks like we should have great viewing conditions for it, especially tonight. Most smartphones have a compass built in that you can use to orient yourself to the southeast. In the southern hemisphere Orion stands on his head, so you will have to look down.
Toyota executive: U.S. seeks 'impossible' changes to NAFTA for Mexico, Canada
Negotiators for Mexico and Canada expressed frustration after the talks concluded. NAFTA ripped down most trade barriers between the U.S., Canada and Mexico.
This is the hardest question to answer because there are a lot of variables.
When will the next meteor shower be? Be patient since sometimes meteors come in spurts.
Do I need a telescope? And what's your best chance of seeing it?
Autumn's meteor displays Draconids (Oct 6 - 10) Orionids (Oct 16 - 27) Leonids (Nov 15 - 20) Geminids (Dec 7 - 17) Ursids (Dec 17 - 25).
If you are hoping to catch a glimpse of Halley's Comet itself, you're about 44 years too early; it won't be visible from Earth until the year 2061 as it takes 76 years for it to make a complete revolution.
As the comet moves through space, it leaves debris in its wake that strikes Earth's atmosphere most fully around October 20-22, each year.
Meteoroids are often so small they burn up in the earth's atmosphere, so there is little chance of a collision.
- Samsung Electronics CEO Kwon Oh-hyun to retire after March 2018
- Blac Chyna Is Suing The Entire Kardashian Family For Everything They're Worth
- LaMarcus Aldridge signs 3-year extension with Spurs, report says
- Huawei opens pre-orders for Mate 10 with RM999 of goodies
- Amazon Debuts (Parent-Controlled) Shopping Accounts for Teens
- Canadian Rescued From Taliban Has Complicated Ties to Osama Bin Laden
- Ford Recalling 1.3 Million Pickups Over Door Issue
- USTR's Lighthizer says White House not actively working to withdraw from NAFTA
- Mobile kills unlimited data usage when traveling to Canada and Mexico
- Latest Windows 10 update rolled out