The provocative tweets wasted no time in blaming all previous U.S. Presidents for allowing the Democratic People's Republic of North Korea to build a nuclear missile program. Mulvaney said it was the first he had heard about the tweet, but said every bit of it was true.
"North Korea should have been handled 25 years ago or 10 years ago".
The interview made headlines all across the Pacific Rim, and remains the leading story on the South Korean Yonhap News Agency website as of this writing.
Trump did not make clear to what he was referring. Trump told top USA military leaders earlier this week that it was the "calm before the storm".
But Democratic Sen. Chris Murphy wants Trump to "stop doing hurtful things to the country's national security, like telling the North Koreans that there is no diplomatic path for them to give up nuclear weapons".
US Auto Makers Step Up Plans for Electric Vehicles
According to the company, its September domestic passenger and commercial vehicle sales rose by 25 per cent to 53,965 units. GM has been a pioneer in the development of fuel-cell technology, putting its first prototype on the road four decades ago.
Trump's comment comes less than a week after he undercut statements by Rex Tillerson, his own Secretary of State. Again, since all his other talking points on North Korea have been about how ready the USA is for war with them, it's a concerning direction he's pointing in.
The next day, Trump wrote on his Twitter page that Tillerson "is wasting his time trying to negotiate with Little Rocket Man" (nickname for North Korean leader Kim Jong Un). The Asian country for long has made a mockery of the USA diplomacy.
"Stand by your phones", Yong Suk Lee, deputy assistant director of the CIA's Korea Mission Center, said he had told his staff.
However, there were expectations that North Korea would do something incendiary on the same date past year, when the day passed without a bang.
North Korea's nuclear weapons are necessary "for defending the destiny and sovereignty of the country from the protracted nuclear threats of the U.S. imperialists", Kim, who is chairman of the party among many other titles, told the party's central committee at a meeting, according to a state media reports published Sunday. Kim Jong Un also visited the mausoleum where his father and grandfather, "eternal president" Kim Il Sung, lie in state.
- TODAY'S FORECAST: Sunny, high near 70
- Sheriff: Hard to Believe Las Vegas Gunman Planned Attack Alone
- Smartphone Apple iPhone Plus 8 goes off the screen
- Centurion Karunaratne leads the way for Sri Lanka
- Turkey to Impose Further Sanctions on Iraqi Kurdistan
- Google Releases a Multitude of Devices to Counter Amazon, Apple, and... GoPro?
- May makes light of keynote speech cough with medicine-themed tweet
- Galen Rupp ends American men's drought in Chicago Marathon
- Stunning Samsung HMD Odyssey Microsoft Mixed Reality headset goes official, out soon
- Trump admin to reverse birth control mandate