Three-time Olympian Galen Rupp was the victor, in 2:09:20.
Ethiopia's Tirunesh Dibaba won the women's race in 2:18:31. It was Dibaba's first career marathon win despite being the third-fastest woman in history, having run 2:17:56 at the 2017 London Marathon. Khannouchi was born in Morocco so Rupp is the first US born victor since 1982.
Kenya's Abel Kirui was second, 28 seconds behind Rupp.
"It's just incredible", the delighted victor told NBC afterwards. "The longer the better". "I've made the mistake in the past of going too hard, too soon..."
"I really wanted to wait", Rupp said. "That was my plan".
India failed to cause problems for opponents, says Luis Norton De Matos
As I had said, there is a big gap between us and other teams in our group. "But the third goal is the punishment for us. In the country's maiden appearance in any World Cup, India showed sparks in patches, but lagged way behind in class.
Dibaba, 32, is a two-time 5,000m world champion and three-time 10,000m world champion.
The last time an American runner won the Chicago Marathon was Deena Kastor in 2005.
Slocum also races in the Garden State. "You train so hard to have a race like this and to have it all come together, words just can't describe the feeling when I came across the line". She went out with an aggressive pace and was all alone by the 30-kilometer mark.
Around 25K, Hasay began fading from the lead women - Dibaba and Brigid Kosgei - by approximately 20 seconds but was still on sub-2:19 pace, under the American women's marathon record of 2:19:36, running alongside Kiplagat. She broke 1984 Olympic medalist Joan Benoit Samuelson's Chicago course record for an American. This is now the first time Americans have finished top three in both the men's and women's races at the Chicago Marathon since 1985. Stanley Biwott, a 2:03:51 marathoner and victor of New York City in 2015, dropped out shortly after.
- Stunning Samsung HMD Odyssey Microsoft Mixed Reality headset goes official, out soon
- For One Day Only, McDonald's Will Sell Szechuan Sauce Again
- Up to 100000 additional refugees waiting to flee Myanmar
- Trump admin to reverse birth control mandate
- Terrorist Attack On BSF Camp In Srinagar
- Sheriff: Hard to Believe Las Vegas Gunman Planned Attack Alone
- Road-weary Dolphins face Saints in London
- TODAY'S FORECAST: Sunny, high near 70
- Hurricane Maria's Aftermath In Puerto Rico — Intersection
- Trump order protects 'freedom to discriminate' against LGBT people