On Friday, 83 percent of the island's cell sites were out of service, according to the FCC - down only slightly from 84.6 percent the day before.
In case of yu just need to know, the Project Loon is a subsidiary project from Google's "X" t make the availability of internet in rural places and remote villages. She added that "we've been making solid progress" on that next step.
Loon's networks of balloons appeared to work well earlier this year when parts of Peru suffered severe flooding. Helping speed up the process is the Loon team's existing involvement with telecommunications provider Telefonica on the island. Loon balloons have already been successfully launched in Peru back in May, providing Internet connectivity in flood zones around Lima, Chimbote, and Piura.
To help communications the FCC as authorized the use of Project Loon over the territory.
But the Puerto Rico situation is different.
Hurricane Maria's Aftermath In Puerto Rico — Intersection
MONICA VILLAMIZAR , Special Correspondent: For the people of Puerto Rico, lines are now a fact of life. JUDY WOODRUFF: Monica, you mentioned earlier that people are talking about a kind of new normal there.
Loon was developed at X, Alphabet's innovation lab. Alphabet also is the parent of search engine Google.
It could help provide the people of Puerto Rico with access to cellular service to connect with loved ones and access life-saving information.
AT&T has started using satellite links to carry millions of phone calls and text messages from clusters of temporary cellular radios to the mainland, a spokesman said.
Alphabet's Project Loona team had last day discussed a possibility of providing an emergency coverage for Puerto Rican by deploying its network-enabled balloons over the country.
But in its application to the FCC, Alphabet included letters and emails from eight wireless carriers in Puerto Rico, in which they consented for Loon to use their frequencies for disaster relief and to restore limited communications.
- Last-minute leaks confirm Google Home Mini name, design, pricing and release date
- Up to 100000 additional refugees waiting to flee Myanmar
- For One Day Only, McDonald's Will Sell Szechuan Sauce Again
- Matic warns Man Utd's rivals that he will get even better
- Terrorist Attack On BSF Camp In Srinagar
- Sheriff: Hard to Believe Las Vegas Gunman Planned Attack Alone
- Google Assistant App Appears on Google Play, New Assistant Features Announced
- Smartphone Apple iPhone Plus 8 goes off the screen
- US Auto Makers Step Up Plans for Electric Vehicles
- India U-17 team undergoes practice at JLN training pitch