"Swells generated by Maria are increasing along portions of the southeastern United States coast and Bermuda and will be increasing along the Mid-Atlantic coast later today", the center said Sunday, warning that such swells can cause "life-threatening surf and rip currents".
11 a.m. UPDATE: Hurricane Maria's winds have weakened to 115 miles per hour as it continues moving north northeast at 8 miles per hour.
The Weather Channel said the hurricane may blow in close enough to the Outer Banks of North Carolina to cause coastal flooding Wednesday and Thursday, as well as affect parts of the Virginia Tidewater and even the southern Delmarva Peninsula. Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 60 miles from the center, and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 240 miles.
Confidence is "high" that Hurricane Maria will have no impacts in SC, even as the powerful storm continues to churn out in the Atlantic.
In a manner similar to Hurricane Jose, Maria will drop out of the strong upper-level winds of the jet stream, trapping the storm and preventing its escape out to sea for several days. For a short time, as unseasonably warm high pressure builds eastward across the Ohio Valley into the Northeast U.S., Maria may get nudged a little west of a due north track for a while.
Hundreds Dead In Massive Earthquake Near Mexico City
The powerful 8.1 quake from earlier this month - the strongest to hit the country in 8 decades - left almost 100 people dead. Another natural disaster struck Mexico on Tuesday afternoon with a 7.1 magnitude at a depth of approximately 50 kilometers.
"The impacts don't change much but we're not looking at the Category 3 storm that we have right now", Panovich said.
Met Office forecaster Charlie Powell said: "Hurricane Maria looks like merging with Hurricane Lee off the east of the USA and moving across the Atlantic, with the latest thoughts being for them to pass between the north-west of Scotland and Iceland on Monday or Tuesday".
The eye of Hurricane Maria is 640 SSE of Cape Hatteras, North Carolina.
Parts of the USA have already been affected by multiple tropical storms systems this year, with Hurricane Maria now causing devastation across parts of the Caribbean.
A MASSIVE dam in Puerto Rico has burst prompting a mass evacuation and unleashing more devastation in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria. At least 10 people have died so far.
- Over five lakh Londoners sign petition to save Uber
- Ryanair To Take A Weeks Leave Off Pilots To Solve "Mess-Up"
- Crystal Palace 19/10 to win against Southampton in Saturday's Premier League clash
- Natural disaster detected near N Korea nuclear test site
- Hurricane Maria Dominica Photos: Historically Strong Storm Causes 'Widespread Devastation'
- China Moves To Limit Fuel, Textile Trade With North Korea
- Google launches Android One Moto X4 smartphone for Project Fi users
- Thyssenkrupp, Tata Steel agree to forge Europe's No. 2 steelmaker
- Troll Level: Expert - Donald Trump Literally Takes Aim at Hillary on Twitter
- Newcastle fans rave over attacker after Stoke win - 'Invaluable', 'absolute…