It is believed that the 11 year old boy wandered past the security barrier and fell into the crater when his parents attempted to rescue him.
The boy slipped after breaching a fence surrounding the Solfatara Crater in Pozzuoli and his parents followed in an attempt to rescue their son, police said.
Three people reportedly died when they fell into a volcanic crater.
Italian reports identified them as Massimiliano Carrer, Tiziana Zaramella and their son, Lorenzo.
According to reports, the family are from Turin in Italy and were enjoying a holiday before their children returned to school this week.
A family of three have died after falling into a volcanic crater in Pozzuoli, Italy.
Zidane told me apart from Messi, I'm the best left footer - Asensio
The 21-year-old has made an impressive start to the season and Zidane has clearly been impressed to laud his performances.
The couple's other son, a 7-year-old boy, managed to get to safety.
A local worker who was near the accident, Diego Vitagliano, told the BBC that it was "the worst thing he had seen in his life". When the boy's 42-year-old mother tried to save her husband, she was also sucked in. It was a tragedy; they pulled out two bodies, then pulled us away.
The Solfatara, a dormant volcano, emits sulfurous fumes. "I continue to think about that family and that poor baby crying and asking for help". "I express my closeness from the community of Pozzuoli to the victims' family", he said.
"We tried to calm him, of course he was very shocked", Guerriero said.
Solfatara's crater fields are scorching hot only a few inches below the surface and last erupted in 1198, the Daily Mail said.
- Moon presses Putin over North Korea oil supplies
- Tower Crane Spins As Irma Outer Bands Hit Miami
- Nasa captures the strongest solar flares of the past decade
- Trump should emulate North Dakota on tax reform
- Equifax Announced Cyber security Incident has Affected 143 million consumers Information
- Oklahoma Face Difficult Road Test Against Ohio State
- Hurricane Will Possibly Weaken Into Tropical Storm, Says NHC
- Netflix Offered for Free on T-Mobile's Unlimited Family Plan
- Angelina Jolie at The Breadwinner premiere for Toronto Film Festival
- Nebraska Preview: Cornhuskers at Oregon