Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and his deputy Manish Sisodia went to the accident spot and blamed the BJP-ruled municipal corporation for the accident.
Authorities said they were trying to ascertain the reason behind collapse. A crowd gathered to watch, among them residents who have complained about the dump for years.
People stand on a mountain of garbage that came crashing down in a landfill in New Delhi, India, today.
Anumita Roychowdhury, the director (operations) at the Centre for Science and Environment (CSE), said that these landfills crossed their longevity years ago.
With over 9,000 metric tons of daily garbage generation in the city, the three functional landfill sites -Ghazipur, Bhalaswa and Okhla are overloaded. Locals also helped rescue some persons.
LGBTQ Advocates To Fight President Trump's Transgender Military Ban
Trump has directed the military to reverse an Obama-era policy that allowed transgender people to serve openly in the military. It argues that the ban violates the Equal Protection Clause of the Constitution, as well as due process and free speech.
Delhi's Ghazipur landfill, one of the four methane-filled simmering landfills in the Capital, is on the Waste Atlas 2014 list of 50 biggest dump sites in the world.
A vehicle, a scooter and two motorcycles were swept away by the garbage.
"The methodology of waste disposal at this mountain of garbage is wrong".
He asked the civic body to use modern technology to manage solid waste.
Kejriwal, who visited the site, said the Delhi Pollution Control Committee had served notices to the municipal corporation about the disposal of garbage and the height of the landfill.
Heavy rains in the capital are believed to have caused the landfill to collapse. "We had to clear the voluminous muck before we could begin pulling out the vehicles on to the road", said a fire officer.
- Family of Six Drowns Fleeing Hurricane Harvey Floods
- Rouhani: IAEA unlikely to inspect Iran's military facilities
- Microsoft Discontinues Original Xbox One
- United States shoots down ballistic missile in test amid recent North Korean provocations
- Trump To Kick Off First Major Tax Reform Effort In 30 Years
- Astros and Rangers to play at Tropicana Field
- Pope appeals for end to violence against Rohingya in Mynanmar
- Texans dedicating season to Houston-area storm victims
- Iran rejects US demand for inspection of its military sites
- Here's Everything That's New in the iPhone 8