The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) on Saturday has purported responsibility for a stabbing attack in Russian Federation, that has left two people in serious condition, reports ISIL's news agency Amaq.
Russian police are now trying to identify the attacker and determine a motive for the stabbing spree.
The injured were taken to a hospital, where two were in critical condition, the state-owned Russian News & Information Agency reported.
The perpetrators of many attacks have often been inspired by the group's beliefs and acted alone, rather than been directed or organised by an Islamic State network on the ground.
Powerball Jackpot of $600 Million Aligned With Eclipse?
Though three-second prize tickets were bought in different parts of the country, no one matched all the winning numbers. A cashier right, sells a Powerball lottery ticket to a patron in Chicago on January 8, 2016.
Investigators have opened a criminal inquiry into attempted murder, not terrorism, with the Investigative Committee's chief Alexander Bastrykin taking the case under his personal control. A news site, K-Inform, initially reported that three men in masks had attacked pedestrians with knives, an ax and firearms. It said armed police called to the scene "liquidated" the attacker following the stabbing on Saturday morning. It said one woman was stabbed while standing at an ATM.
This attack comes a day after an attack on the knife in Finland, where a Moroccan 18-year-old was stabbed to death two people and injured eight others in the city of Turku (south-west).
Surgut is the capital of the Khanty-Mansi Autonomous Area, a region east of the Urals which is the center of Russia's oil and gas production industry.
The stabbings in Russia Saturday follow a deadly ISIS attack in Barcelona, Spain earlier this week.
- North Korea crisis: United States and South Korea to conduct joint exercise
- Youth Summer Unemployment Rate Declines to 17-Year Low
- Zero tolerance for violence at Saturday's 'free speech' protests
- WRAPUP 1-US retail sales post biggest increase in seven months
- BetVictor offers 100/1 for McGregor to beat Mayweather
- Kier Group plc (KIE) Receives GBX 1513.80 Average Target Price from Analysts
- Iraq launches offensive to retake Tal Afar from ISIL
- Oxford University employee accused over United States stab death arrives in Chicago
- Moscow to Further Examine US Decision to Limit Issuing Visas to Russians
- Huawei Mate 10 Official Launch Teaser Leaked