Welcoming the announcement, OPS camp key member and former Minister K Pandiarajan, said since all the demands were accepted by the chief minister, the time has come for the two factions to hold open talks on the merger.
Panneerselvam, who broke away from the AIADMK in February, after V.K. Sasikala chose to take over as the chief minister of the state, has been making two demands-to oust Sasikala and her family from party affairs and to initiate an inquiry into Jayalalithaa's death.
The government has also announced that Jayalalithaa's Poes Garden residence in Chennai for which a pitched ownership battle is in full swing among various stakeholders, will now be turned into a memorial.
Regarding the inquiry, he told PTI they had demanded a CBI probe, though it was the chief minister's view to have a Commission of Inquiry. An enquiry commission will be headed by a retired judge.
While O Panneerselvam was the interim CM of the state after Jayalalitha's death, the AIADMK general secretary Sasikala wanted to become the CM.
Local spots to watch the Perseid's meteor shower this weekend
Second, we'll have a bright moon in the sky during the time to watch, so moonlight will wash out the fainter meteors. Each shooting star is a piece of comet dust, burning up from friction as it hits Earth's atmosphere.
The probe into the former CM's death was a long demand of one faction of the AIADMK which is led by O Paneerselvam. Jayalalithaa died on December 5 past year after suffering a cardiac arrest at the Apollo Hospital in Chennai where she had been admitted on September 22 following complaints of fever and dehydration. "So, we have decided that an Inquiry commission headed by a retired judge will look into the matter", said the Chief Minister.
Hailing Jayalalithaa as a great leader who had toiled for the welfare of the state and its people, CM Palaniswami said her "Veda Nilayam" residence would be made a memorial in deference to the requests from several quarters.
Asked if the merger's prospects have brightened, he said, "as far as merger goes, it can happen only if Sasikala and her family are fully ousted from the party". He said the family, up to "usurp" the party, should be shown the door.
He alleged that there was a quarrel at Jayalalithaa's Poes Garden home during which she was "pushed down" and collapsed. There were reports alleging foul play behind the death of the AIADMK supremo.
- Guam is telling its citizens how to survive a nuclear attack
- No confrontation between Indian, Chinese troops in Arunachal Pradesh
- WRAPUP 1-US retail sales post biggest increase in seven months
- Jinder Mahal vs. John Cena
- Zinedine Zidane 'happy' as he confirms he will extend Real Madrid contract
- Flood situation improves, total death toll 123
- Confrontation with North Korea not imminent
- Anthony Scaramucci: Trump Should Have Been 'Much Harsher' in Charlottesville Remarks
- Guam: Small But Important Piece of US Territory in Pacific
- Sigourney Weaver Vows To Break The Defenders In High Stakes Final Trailer