Mild bouts of buying was witnessed in FMCG, auto, realty, healthcare and consumer durable sectors. "Infosys buyback is a very good thing for other IT companies", said AK Prabhakar, head of research, IDBI Capital.
United States stocks ended slightly firmer on Wednesday but off the day's highs as worries mounted over President Donald Trump's agenda and minutes from the latest Federal Reserve meeting suggested policymakers are anxious about weak inflation.
Mumbai: Indian shares rose for a third consecutive session on Thursday, with Infosys Ltd leading the gains after announcing a likely share buyback, while Asian markets rose as tensions between the USA and North Korea eased.
Infosys, the country's second largest IT exporter, zoomed most by 4.54 per cent, after the company said the board will take up a proposal for buyback of shares on Saturday, helping the key indices post gains for the third day in a row. The market breadth was narrow as 1,399 shares advanced against a decline of 1,161 shares, while 138 shares were unchanged.
Jinder Mahal vs. John Cena
The Ascension didn't like the pie Fandango last week, maybe because there is hair and a used bandage in it. Baron Corbin . 'The Lone Wolf .' 'Big Banter.' Call him what you will, but the man's career is faltering.
The broader NSE Nifty ended 0.07 percent higher at 9,904.15, after earlier advancing as much as 0.51 percent.
HDFC Bank fell 0.7% after lowering interest rate on savings accounts by 50 basis points to 3.50% on balance of up to five million rupees. It was quoting 31,491.74 at 1100 hours, up 42.71 points or 0.14 per cent. India VIX closed higher by 1.53% at 11. The apex court upheld an order by the Delhi High Court which allowed the company to use land at Delhi airport for non-aviation or commercial purposes.
Hong Kong's Hang Seng Index slipped 0.30 percent by 3:09 p.m. HK/SIN as earnings reporting season continued. A government policy in 2016 had barred airports from using such land for non-aeronautical purposes.
■ 9.40am: Coal India Ltd rose 2.4% to Rs242.65 after a huge block deal.
Going forward, experts are placing their bet on the market to perform sideways for a while.
- More wet weather for parts of North Carolina
- Anthony Scaramucci: Trump Should Have Been 'Much Harsher' in Charlottesville Remarks
- Huawei Mate 10 Official Launch Teaser Leaked
- Danish mystery submarine sailed with lights off
- Zinedine Zidane 'happy' as he confirms he will extend Real Madrid contract
- Confrontation with North Korea not imminent
- No confrontation between Indian, Chinese troops in Arunachal Pradesh
- Tillerson says Russian Federation willing to discuss Ukraine
- WRAPUP 1-US retail sales post biggest increase in seven months
- Maria Sharapova granted US Open wild card