As it stands, clubs in England are allowed to buy and sell players until the end of August, which on this occasion is nearly three weeks after the season has begun.
Everton boss Ronald Koeman publicly advocated for moving the transfer deadline over the weekend and there is believed to be broad support for the idea, although Watford are one club known to oppose it.
The proposals are likely to be debated by Premier League clubs at a meeting in London on September 7.
"There's frustration here and I'm sure Southampton are frustrated, too", Swansea manager Paul Clement said after his side had drawn 0-0 with Southampton on Saturday.
Dunford says U.S. military options only if sanctions fail: South Korea
Joseph Dunford, chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, before their meeting at Cheong Wa Dae in Seoul on Monday. The top priority is the national interest of the Republic of Korea.
The current window, like many other major European leagues, closes on August 31 which is a full three weeks into the start of the Premier League campaign, and nearly a full month into the campaign for sides in the EFL. The current transfer window runs until 31 August.
Here, we look at some of the top football transfer stories from the British and world media in The Sport Review's Grapevine, published twice a day during the summer transfer window. But I also understand that some things take a bit more time.
There are few examples of smart buys in the final days and hours of a transfer window, and that would not change if the deadline was moved to early August, but clubs and managers would at least go into a new campaign knowing their squad would not be disrupted by transfers until January if the window was to close early.
Other teams in Europe, including those in Spain and Italy, would still be able to sign players from the English teams, in line with their own league's deadlines.
It seems unlikely, but the question will be raised at some point during the final hours of the window because it is impossible to believe that all clubs will agree to suspend transfer business in order to avoid distracting worldwide teams.
- Local spots to watch the Perseid's meteor shower this weekend
- Danish mystery submarine sailed with lights off
- North Korea Frees Canadian Pastor Sentenced to Life of Hard Labor
- Spain : Country could top Greece in migrant sea arrivals - IOM
- Venezuela uses 'excessive force to crush dissent'
- Police believe child found dead in van was in vehicle all day
- Chinese tourists detained for giving Nazi salute in Berlin
- Confrontation with North Korea not imminent
- Guam is telling its citizens how to survive a nuclear attack
- Guam: Small But Important Piece of US Territory in Pacific