The military said it intercepted the vehicle at a checkpoint near the city of Arish, the capital of North Sinai province, and tried to contain the expected blast by running over the auto with a tank.
The army also destroyed 20 vehicles belonging to terrorist elements, four motorcycles and four car-bombs that were meant to target security forces.
An army tank had intercepted the vehicle and driven over it, nearly flattening it, before the explosives went off, according to a video released by the army.
Panic stricken-civilians can be seen running for cover in the video footage.
German Automakers and Government Officials Reach Accord on Emissions Software
Luxury vehicle maker Audi, a division of Volkswagen said it would update engine software on up to 850,000 diesel-engined cars. Large tanks, it said, would have been more expensive and the carmakers agreed on small tanks.
But by stopping the auto before it reached the checkpoint, a spokesman for the Egyptian army believes the tank saved up to 50 lives.
At least eight people including six women were killed Tuesday and more than 30 others are feared trapped after a building collapsed in India's Maharashtra state, police said. "The armed forces will continue to sacrifice all that is precious, our sons' lives, in order to preserve and protect this nation and its great people", said the spokesperson.
An insurgency in Egypt's Sinai region has increased since the army toppled President Mohamed Morsi of the Muslim Brotherhood, Egypt's oldest Islamist movement, four years ago.
Despite the tank's heroic measures, seven civilians were killed during the incident which occurred at a military checkpoint located to the south of al-Arish in North Sinai on Monday.
- Oil tankers association ends strike, oil supply resumes
- Doom update 6.66 retires its season pass, all multiplayer DLC now free
- Violence over Jerusalem holy site kills 6
- Legendary raids can catch Legendary Pokemon; possible release in a few days
- Why Anne Hathaway Is the Perfect Choice to Play Barbie
- McCormick to acquire French's, Frank's RedHot brands for $4.2 billion
- Toyota's new solid-state battery could make its way to cars by 2020
- Marvel announces time period, villain for Captain Marvel
- Nintendo launches Android and iOS app for Switch
- Oil rises on promise from Saudis to limit exports next month