The site had been beta testing ads on Facebook Messenger in Australia and Thailand and after promising results in those countries it chose to roll out the feature for businesses worldwide. They also use the same targeting - which means the company does not use people's private messages to target them with advertising, said Ted Helwick, a Facebook product manager who works on Messenger ads.
At this point, more than 1.2 billion people use Messenger every month. But before you panic and post a lengthy rant against Facebook introducing another way to interrupt your conversations, it is not as intrusive as it sounds.
The ads look similar to those found on Facebook's newsfeed and will sit between your recent conversations - they won't appear in private messages, thankfully. "And going forward, there are some other business models we are exploring as well, but they're all around ads one way or another".
Messenger ads are going global but still in beta test phase for the rest of the world. A small number of users worldwide will start seeing ads by the end of July, with the number gradually expanding throughout the year.
People can hide or report Messenger ads in the same way they can hide or report an ad in the Facebook News Feed or on Instagram.
Attacks near Egypt-Gaza border kill 23 soldiers
The officials said some senior officers criticised the location of the checkpoint, arguing that it provided no real cover. About 100 Copts have been killed in such attacks in mainland Egypt since December.
Facebook will soon display ads on the Facebook Messenger home screen.
It is now being tested in Thailand and Australia, and Facebook is looking into expanding the beta further, it said in a statement.
In 2016 Facebook also tested sponsored messages.
Although the home screen ads are supposed to be dynamic, some are just simply too big and takes up nearly two-thirds of the screen. At the time, the only details they announced were to allow bots that could accept payments without sending their user base to an external website to complete the transaction.
- Man proposes to girlfriend while being arrested
- Five Animal Rights Activists Arrested At Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest
- Eye on the Tropics: Tropical Depression 4 forms
- NBA Hawks reportedly pass on Knicks' $71 mn offer to Hardaway Jr
- Mattek-Sands busts knee in horrific Wimbledon fall
- Shadow of War lets your bring your Nemesis from Shadow of Mordor
- Uran takes Tour stage honours as Porte crashes
- Konta sets up Halep quarter-final
- Trump isolated as USA slowly detaches from G-20 positions
- Party divisions extend to impression of higher education