Into the decider it went and as the match clock crossed the two-hour mark, with both players looking unbeatable on serve, it looked as if it may rival Konta's 3hr10mins second-round epic against Donna Vekic.
She was a semi-finalist three years ago and reached the final of the recent French Open at Roland Garros.
Konta has neither forgiven nor forgotten Halep's team-mate Sorana Cirstea, who was outspoken in her criticism of the British number one, after their tie was suspended when Nastase unleashed a torrent of abusive language and stoked up the home crowd.
It was not quite as draining as Konta's second-round win over Donna Vekic, where she took the third set 10-8, but right up until Konta won it had the same feel about it.
Much like Konta's epic match with Vekic, by the third set the two players were exhausted and the set looked to be going entirely with serve.
Attacks near Egypt-Gaza border kill 23 soldiers
The officials said some senior officers criticised the location of the checkpoint, arguing that it provided no real cover. About 100 Copts have been killed in such attacks in mainland Egypt since December.
But when Garcia slapped a final forehand into the net, Konta fell to her knees, struggling to hold back the tears before embracing her opponent at the net.
From there the contest was evenly matched between two powerful hitters, but Konta just lost her grip when she was serving for the set at 5-4 up.
"It's humbling that I have such champions thinking so highly of me", she added.
"When I was a little girl, and even now, I dreamt of being in these battles and on the big stages". Again she showed why she has as good a chance as anyone of winning the whole thing on Saturday.
"I approach pressure in a very self-imposed way. That's the approach and the effort I put into every single match that I play".
- Mattek-Sands busts knee in horrific Wimbledon fall
- UFC 213: Romero vs. Whittaker: Ending the Streak
- Let the hype begin: Mayweather, McGregor to kick off tour
- China: Umbrella Rental Company Has Lost Most Umbrellas In 3 Months
- NBA Hawks reportedly pass on Knicks' $71 mn offer to Hardaway Jr
- China's president in Russian Federation for talks on boosting ties
- Kate Middleton and Prince William In Ceremony Marking Princess Diana's Birthday
- Mom accused in child deaths wags finger at judge
- Sony Is Finally Releasing a Special Edition PS4 Pro
- Iran signs landmark US$5b gas deal with Total