Tuesday, 19 September 2017
Latest news
Main » High Court judge asks Charlie Gard's parents for new evidence

High Court judge asks Charlie Gard's parents for new evidence

11 July 2017

Monday may bring new hope for the parents of terminally-ill British baby Charlie Gard, after the London hospital at the center of the drama chose to seek a new court decision following fresh claims relating to experimental treatment available in the United States.

Connie Yates and Chris Gard spoke as they handed a petition to Great Ormond Street Hospital in London, calling for Charlie to be allowed to fly to the U.S. for potentially life-saving treatment. GOSH determined that he should be taken off his life support.

Doctors say it doesn't look as though there will be time to run such tests before reaching a decision about Charlie's care.

The evidence came from researchers at the Vatican's children's hospital and another facility outside of Britain. This past March doctors told his parents that there was nothing more they could do.

Baby Charlie Gard with his parents, Connie Yates and Chris Gard.

The problem is that they can not do so because he is a United Kingdom resident.

Doctors had been preparing to switch off Charlie's life support but now the hospital wants judges to consider whether or not he should receive the experimental drug cited by the Vatican doctors.

Additionally, Justice Nicholas Francis of the Family Division of the High Court of Justice ruled in April that withdrawing life support was in the boy's best interest.

NBA Hawks reportedly pass on Knicks' $71 mn offer to Hardaway Jr
While numerous best point guards have been snapped up already, Rose and Rajon Rondo remain in search of a contract. Mills has all but confirmed the youth movement in his explanation of the Hardaway Jr. signing.

But doctors have now applied for Charlie to have a fresh hearing in the High Court over "new evidence" relating to potential treatment for his condition.

The wrenching case has drawn interventions from Pope Francis and U.S. President Donald Trump, who have both said they will do what they can to help.

The @charliesfight account, run by family members, tweeted: "A HUGE thank you to all you out there supporting and sharing Charlie's story!"

The US neurologist who has offered to treat Charlie claims there is a 10 per cent change the treatment will lead to an improvement in Charlie's condition.

At the end of June, the European Court of Human Rights rejected an appeal by Charlie's parents that he be allowed to undergo the experimental treatment in the U.S., following a similar ruling by the UK's supreme court. "And Charlie's parents and their barristers will get a chance to present the new medical evidence in court". They said they had determined that the proposed treatment was unlikely to help the boy, and would only prolong his suffering. Even some pro-lifers seem to have been misled by the rhetoric of the hospital and the court system, while the core issue - the natural rights of the parents to make this decision for their child - has been lost.

Charlie's parents have spoken to the father of Ashya King, a young cancer patient whose parents took him out of hospital and overseas for proton beam therapy not offered on the NHS, The Sun reported.

Charlie Gard was diagnosed with Mitochondrial DNA Depletion Syndrome-which has left him unable to see, breathe, or move on his own-when he was just one month-old.

'There's no catastrophic brain damage, as I'm sure you have heard or read in the papers, ' Chris said. "The specialists are in America and that's where we want to go".

High Court judge asks Charlie Gard's parents for new evidence