The 6-foot-5 Hardaway returned to the Knicks after two seasons with the Atlanta Hawks. League sources earlier told ESPN there was almost uniformed opinion within Atlanta's front office that the contract was simply too steep when measured against the production and potential of Hardaway Jr.
According to ESPN.com's Adrian Wojnarowski, the signing "is expected to trigger a renewed willingness to work with the Houston Rockets on trade scenarios to unload Anthony". So it's not all that shocking they're about to overpay for Hardaway Jr. The Knicks made an expensive offer to Hardaway to deter Atlanta from matching it.
Atlanta will not match New York's $71M offer sheet to Tim Hardaway Jr., but official notification still hours away, sources tell ESPN.
Hardaway's beefy contract offer comes after a revelation of a fourth year in the league, averaging a career-high 14.5 points per game on 45.5 percent shooting from the floor and 35.7 percent from deep.
House Budget Vote Today: 'A Moment Of Truth'
There's general agreement that a revenue package will include raising the personal income tax rate from 3.75 to 5 percent. But Illinois' stalemate has been unprecedented since it reached a full year.
Mills has all but confirmed the youth movement in his explanation of the Hardaway Jr. signing. He'll space out as a shooter next to rookie Frank Ntilikina, but it's tough to imagine that NY couldn't have found another player for a much cheaper price.
NY renounced Derrick Rose's contract in order to have enough cap space for this deal. The terms are unknown.
Hardaway Jr., 25, was drafted by the Knicks in 2013 and was a First-Team All-Rookie selection, but he then struggled once Jackson took over as Knicks president and the triangle offense arrived on Broadway.
The room exception, a small amount of cap space and veteran's exceptions are the only tools the Knicks now have to offer free agents.
The biggest move looming of the Knicks remains the status of Carmelo Anthony. While numerous best point guards have been snapped up already, Rose and Rajon Rondo remain in search of a contract.
- Mattek-Sands busts knee in horrific Wimbledon fall
- Tour de France 2017
- Sevilla confirm deal agreed for Vicente Iborra to join Leicester City
- Shadow of War lets your bring your Nemesis from Shadow of Mordor
- China's president in Russian Federation for talks on boosting ties
- Jammu and Kashmir will soon join GST regime, assures Jaitley
- ICE Chief Might've Contradicted Trump On Immigrant Crime
- Rumor: No Single-Player DLC for MEA
- Saudi-led bloc voices regret over Qatar's 'negative' response to demand list
- Injuries that have hampered world number one Andy Murray in 2017