The bodies of 2-year-old Axel Romero, 4-year-old Dillan Romero, 7-year-old Dacota Romero, 10-year-old Isabela Martinez and their father, 33-year-old Martin Romero, were found stabbed to death inside of a Loganville home early Thursday morning.
CBS46 reported that the judge ordered Martinez to stop playing to the cameras during the odd court appearance.
Judge Thorpe strongly advised Martinez to hire a lawyer or allow one to be appointed for her.
The judge said he couldn't force her to accept counsel, but he recommended that she do so.
As Judge Thorpe listed the charges against her - five counts of malice murder, five counts of murder and six counts of aggravated assault - Martinez smiled, shook her head "no" and wagged her finger at him.
"For me, the hope and the attorneys are always going to be the people and my faith".
"What prompts a person to take the life of such innocent children and her spouse is something we may never understand", the Gwinnett County police said in a statement. She is now being held on an immigration detainer for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
House Budget Vote Today: 'A Moment Of Truth'
There's general agreement that a revenue package will include raising the personal income tax rate from 3.75 to 5 percent. But Illinois' stalemate has been unprecedented since it reached a full year.
Police had said the Romero and Martinez family lived in a quiet neighborhood, but that changed after a 911 call from inside the mobile home at 4:47 a.m. Thursday.
A fifth child was also stabbed but survived.
Isabel Martinez is accused of murdering her husband Martin Romero (pictured), along with four of their children..
"Fortunately, they found one additional child who was still alive suffering from serious conditions", police told PEOPLE in a statement.
US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) spokesman Bryan Cox has said that Martinez is a Mexican who illegally entered the US at an unspecified date.
Psychologists and others who study cases of mothers killing their children say it's not as uncommon as people might believe. The relative, identified as Hallie Romero, of Loganville, said Diana is expected to be in the hospital for two to three weeks.
Neighbors and family members were left in shock following the gruesome discovery Thursday morning at Martinez's home outside Atlanta, wondering what could have driven a mother to murder her children.
- China's president in Russian Federation for talks on boosting ties
- Iran signs landmark US$5b gas deal with Total
- Saudi-led bloc voices regret over Qatar's 'negative' response to demand list
- Sevilla confirm deal agreed for Vicente Iborra to join Leicester City
- Kate Middleton and Prince William In Ceremony Marking Princess Diana's Birthday
- Tour de France 2017
- Former French presidential candidate placed under formal investigation
- Johanna Konta survives 'epic' Vekic clash to keep Wimbledon hopes alive
- Let the hype begin: Mayweather, McGregor to kick off tour
- Gangrape survivor attacked with acid, Adityanath questions authenticity of report