At least 23 Egyptian soldiers were killed and at least 26 more were injured by two deadly auto bombs that ripped through army checkpoints in northern Sinai today, security sources said. About 100 Copts have been killed in such attacks in mainland Egypt since December.
However, no group has yet claimed responsibility for the attack.
The Islamic militant Hamas group, which rules the Gaza Strip, has denounced the attack earlier in the day in Egypt's Sinai as a "terrorist" assault.
The ministry praised the Egyptian armed forces for thwarting the terrorist attack, by destroying several vehicles and killing the militants who attacked the checkpoint.
It was not immediately possible to obtain an official casualty toll.
Gangrape survivor attacked with acid, Adityanath questions authenticity of report
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath had also gone to meet her in the Hospital and assured the accused will be punished. The woman is in trauma. "We will take strict action", Additional Director General of Police, Abhay Kumar Prasad said.
Egypt has accused Hamas of fomenting unrest in the region and aiding the insurgency in the northern Sinai Peninsula, especially in the aftermath of the 2013 ouster of Islamic President Mohammed Morsi, who hails from the Muslim Brotherhood organization. The officials said some senior officers criticised the location of the checkpoint, arguing that it provided no real cover.
The militants arrived at the checkpoint, which is in a remote desert area, in 24 SUVs, and shot at the soldiers with machine guns for almost half an hour, the officials said.
The army statement said the vehicle bombing killed and wounded some 26 soldiers. It did not name the militants' suspected affiliation.
That attack was later claimed by the Hasam Movement, a militant group that has claimed several attacks around Cairo targeting judges and policemen since a year ago.
- Sevilla confirm deal agreed for Vicente Iborra to join Leicester City
- Johanna Konta survives 'epic' Vekic clash to keep Wimbledon hopes alive
- China criticizes U.S. as Trump, Xi honeymoon ends
- Federal Bureau of Investigation agent indicted in LaVoy Finicum shooting
- Jammu and Kashmir will soon join GST regime, assures Jaitley
- Pacers' price for George too high for Celtics
- Iran signs landmark US$5b gas deal with Total
- Saudi-led bloc voices regret over Qatar's 'negative' response to demand list
- Five Animal Rights Activists Arrested At Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest
- Injuries that have hampered world number one Andy Murray in 2017