Just as the summer begins, a thought should be spared for when it will come to a close again, so that you can squeeze in those extra barbecues and paddling pool sessions while the sun's out.
The festival of Ramadan coincides with the summer solstice.
But there's a popular misconception about summer days: That sunsets get later after summer begins.
TODAY Wednesday 21 June is the winter solstice when the sun reaches its furthest north position in the sky and starts moving back towards the south. Contrary to this, the meteorologists study the conditions that lead to summer. By the January 4, 2018 Perihelion, Earth will be 3 million miles closer to the sun, and then the cycle starts all over again.
Pagans used the summer solstice as a market for planting and harvesting crops, celebrating the God and Goddess coming together.
But as the Earth rotates it also moves along its orbit around the Sun. It's this 23.5-degree tilt that creates the seasons.
Trump slams Qatar for funding terror as Tillerson urges calm
But the official added that Trump has a good relationship with the emir and would like to leverage it to resolve the situation. He said other countries, which he didn't name, must also continue to eliminate support for violent organizations.
A solstice is different from an equinox, the two times each year when the sun is directly above the Earth's equator and day and night are of equal length. / (AFP Photo/Timothy Clarytimothy a. clary) People take part in the 15th annual Times Square yoga event celebrating the Summer Solstice, the longest day of the year, during classes in the middle of Times Square on June 21, 2017 in NY. For the central time zone, places like Milwaukee have a sunset at 8:35pm, while the Twin Cities is at 9:03pm.
While here in the south, as the Earth rotates on its axis, it's the nights that are long and our winter days are short.
Approximately 13,000 people descended on the neolithic monument in Wiltshire to watch the sun rise at 4.52am - up from 12,000 past year.
A reveler walks between the stones while waiting for the sun to set during the summer solstice festival at Stonehenge in southern England.
On the Antarctic Circle, there are 24 hours of complete nighttime on the June Solstice.
Our inconstant Sun - an analemma is made when you take a photo of the Sun at the same time every day.
- Special counsel investigating Trump for possible obstruction of justice
- Trump Tweets Poll Showing 50 Percent Approval; 'Higher Than O's!'
- South Korean coach Uli Stielike fired after World Cup qualifier defeat
- Shah rules out resumption of Indo-Pak bilateral cricket ties
- Brits retire from America's Cup trials race with damage
- Escaped Georgia inmates caught in Tennessee after manhunt
- GJM rules out talks with West Bengal govt
- 20 injured as Chinese flight hits turbulence in China
- Hong Kong pushing for regional AIIB office, says finance chief
- Air bag maker Takata to file bankruptcy this month