Also, Schiller made a point to say that Apple cares a lot about its user's privacy, so nothing is ever being sent until you say "Hey Siri."It uses an anonymous Siri ID, too, so your searches aren't tracked back to you".
That leaves Apple. Although it was the first smartphone maker to come out with a digital assistant when Siri debuted in 2011, it hasn't had a stand-alone assistant.
Kabul blast: Corps commanders reject 'unwarranted accusations' against Pakistan
Afghan President Ashraf Ghani delivers a speech Tuesday at the opening of a peace conference at the presidential palace in Kabul . Afghans also accuse Iran and Russian Federation of helping the Taliban.
Speaking about the "HomePod", it comes with around 7 inches of height and a large woofer designed by Apple. An A8 chip inside the speaker provides advanced intelligence to allow the speaker to perform real-time acoustic modelling, audio beam-forming, and multi-channel echo cancellation so that it can adjust to the space it's placed in and balance audio appropriately.
During this week's conference, Apple also discussed significant software upgrades for the iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple TV, and Apple Watch and debuted new iPad and Mac computer models. There's also a "virtual surround sound" feature that helps the small speaker fill up a room with your sick jams. This is very much, like Sonos' Trueplay feature, which similarly tunes its speakers to any room. And all communications will be encrypted, meaning authorities can't try to tap home communications. In-fact, according to the company, users can even ask Siri who is the drummer of a particular song, and it would be able to pull up answers for you. That's why Amazon created the $50 Echo Dot. Hopefully it will work with services like Spotify and Pandora as well.
Apple is a late entrant to the rapidly growing speaker category.
A survey released last month by research firm eMarketer found Echo speakers held 70.6 percent of the United States market, compared with 23.8% for Google Home and 5.6% for others including Lenovo, LG, Harmon Kardon and Mattel.
- India & Pakistan to join SCO during landmark Astana summit
- Verizon plans to cut about 2000 jobs at Yahoo, AOL
- OPEC meets to extend oil cuts for up to one year
- Islamic State claims responsibility for Resorts World Manila attack that killed 36
- Student stuck on NY subway gets improvised graduation
- Prosecutors to drop charges in Stanley Cup dead catfish toss
- Oil futures climb 1 percent after USA stockpile draw
- United Nations chief warns oceans are 'under threat as never before'
- North Korea: US leaving Paris agreement 'selfish,' 'silly'
- Siri, speakers and software: Highlights from the Apple show