Instead of walking up the aisle to pick up his diploma, a nursing student held his own graduation ceremony with fellow riders on a stalled subway train. The only difference? Alcantara was unable to make the actual ceremony due to massive train delays.
Jerich Marco Alcantara (in purple) was left stranded on an E train for nearly two-and-a-half hours as he was on his way to his college graduation.
Alcantara, in his graduation robes, made an announcement to the auto, thanking his fellow passengers for joining him for his graduation ceremony.
"I announced to the whole train I said 'Hey guy thanks for coming out today to see me walk and graduate, '" he said.
The video shows the trapped passengers then congratulate, hug and chat with purple-clad alumnus as Green Day's "Time of Your Life" plays on portable speakers.
"It turned a bad train ride into something really memorable", said Bobby Rahman.
But family and friends were there to save the day as they held an impromptu ceremony for him
The graduating senior, dressed in full cap and gown, knew after 45 minutes that he would be late to the ceremony.
Because he missed such an important event, however, his fellow stranded New Yorkers hosted a makeshift graduation ceremony on the crowded subway vehicle.
"It wasn't so much an idea, but something that just happened", Alcantara explained of the random ceremony. Nadiya Afzal shot the entire thing with her cell phone.
Alcantara said this commute to school took longer than any other train ride he has take in the last four years.
Afterwards he gave a short speech in an attempt to "lighten the mood", which Mr Alcantara told NY Mag was earlier filled with "antsy and impatient" people.
Apple 'HomePod' speaker to take on Amazon, Google
WWDC is Apple's annual pitch to software engineers to continue building programs for the iPhone, iPad, Mac and Apple Watch. Siri now also has a male American voice, and is said to be more expressive due to a new visual interface.
- Apple Takes On Distracted Driving With New Feature
- 3 challenges Tesla faces as shareholders meet
- Benintendi hits 2 HRs to help Red Sox beat Orioles 7-3
- Apple Unveils Powerful New iMac Pro
- United Nations chief warns oceans are 'under threat as never before'
- Team New Zealand capsizes in America's Cup challenger race
- Project CARS 2 Releasing on September 22nd
- U.S. soccer greats cheer Nebraska girl barred after mistaken as boy
- Apple Announces Smart Speaker, Device Upgrades, and iOS 11
- Islamic State claims responsibility for Resorts World Manila attack that killed 36