He told The Times that the sharks are believed to be juvenile great whites.
Local photographers flying drones over the water at Capo Beach have captured several sharks in the water in recent weeks.
Down by the water, "shark advisory" signs warn beach goers to enter at their own risk.
A lifeguard chief in the area named Mark Allen also spotted the shark within six feet of the surfer that made the claim. No aggressive behavior had been observed.
Shortly after, the department tweeted that the advisory would be in affect for the next 24 hours.
At least two sharks were seen in the water in Long Beach.
Surveillance taken from the sky showed a school of more than 15 sharks making their way towards the surf line. "We'd spot them periodically, and towards the end of the summer they disappeared".
The last thing anyone participating in a water activity in the ocean wants to learn is that they are swimming next to a great white shark.
Philippines, US launch smaller military exercises
Opening rites for the " Balikatan " or "Shoulder-to-Shoulder" exercises were led by Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana and U.S. Australia is the only other country, aside from USA , that has a visiting forces agreement with the Philippines.
A great white shark attempted to bite into a diving cage this week.
Officials say dozens of what appear to be Portuguese man-of-war have drifted ashore on SC beaches. That's because the sharks eat stingrays, which are known to cause painful injuries to people playing in the surf in the area.
Sharks are loners, which is why it's unusual for them to gather in groups along the coast.
Screen grab from a video shot by the Orange County Sheriff's Department of Great White sharks off the coast of Dana Point, California, on Wednesday, May 10, 2017. And ocean conditions may be pushing them to new places'.
Shiffman told Business Insider that although some shark populations, including great whites, were recovering, declining populations spell trouble for other marine life since the animals play a role in oceans' health.
- London conference aims for stable Somalia under new chief
- Higher consumer spending helps boost German economy
- Baahubali 2 Is 'Unstoppable,' Tweets Karan Johar
- Consistent Chelsea Deserve Top Position, Says West Brom's Pulis
- Spurs' Kawhi Leonard (ankle) plans to play in Game 6
- State Department tells Americans to stay away from North Korea
- Facebook Removes Accounts in Fight Against Fake News
- Ryan Seacrest Considering Potential 'American Idol' Return
- Springs church leaders respond to 'religious liberty' executive order
- Russia's Top Diplomat Meets With Trump at White House