Investigators identified the slain Kirkersville police chief as 36-year-old Steven Eric Disario, who had been on the job for only three weeks and had six children, with a seventh on the way. People shouted that they needed police, the witness said. According to WOSU's Esther Honig, that officer was Kirkersville police chief Robert E. Chamberlain II. Police have not released the gunman's identity.
The other victims in the shooting are reported to be two of the facility's employees, along with the shooter.
It wasn't immediately clear whether the gunman killed himself, Licking County Sheriff Randy Thorp said. Some residents barricaded themselves during the shooting, but none of them were injured, he said.
The Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation is aiding local authorities in assessing the crime scene. It was an active shooter situation for a period of time.
The officer who was shot later died from their injuries at a nearby hospital, according to the Newark Advocate.
At least two people were hospitalized and police confirmed a Kirkersville police officer was shot, Columbus-based WSYX reported.
Spurs' Kawhi Leonard (ankle) plans to play in Game 6
LINE HISTORY: The Rockets opened as 6.5-point home favorites for Game 6 and that number was bumped up slightly to -7 on Wednesday. Murray started the last two games after Tony Parker suffered a postseason-ending ruptured left quadriceps tendon in Game 2.
By 10:30 a.m., law enforcement officers were moving some of the senior citizens that had been inside the building for hours to a neighboring church across the street.
Brian Milam, of Kirksersville for the last decade, lives next door to the nursing home.
Kirkersville Elementary School on lockdown, closed for the day.
"I heard the first shot". Then I heard sirens. Students who were already at the elementary school have been moved to Watkins Middle School for pickup.
All other Southwest Licking Schools are on a level 1 lockdown.
- Facebook Removes Accounts in Fight Against Fake News
- Atmosphere rich in water discovered around Neptune-sized world
- It's Honda's problem, not mine, says Alonso
- Chelsea should expect a fight from West Brom, says Chris Brunt
- Bottas was always going to be quick, says Hamilton
- Roger Stone contradicts Trump: I spoke with him 'very recently'
- Massive 'sea monster' discovered on Hulung Brach in Indonesia
- Oil rises on expectations of extended OPEC-led production cut
- Crystal Palace vs Hull City - fans' view
- Sushi lovers at risk of parasites in fish