Neymar and his father will stand trial over alleged fraud and corruption in the player's transfer from Santos to FC Barcelona in 2013. It said it received less money than it should have, and that Barcelona concealed the full transfer fees when Neymar moved from Santos in 2013.
Barca stated initially that they had paid $62.5 million for the 25-year-old captain of Brazil, with a huge $43.7 million of that sum going directly to a company founded by Neymar's parents.
The transfer figure originally published by Barcelona was €57.1m (£48.4m) with €40m euros (£33.9m) of that given to his family, but Spanish authorities believe the real transfer fee was at least €83m euros (£70.3m).
Last June, Barcelonaagreed to pay a fine of €5.5 million (about R82.4m) to the Spanish authorities to settle a related tax fraud case.
The courts have, however, ruled in favour of the player with regards his charges of fraud, while also favouring a €10 million fine and a two-year jail sentence for the Brazilian with respect to the charges of corruption.
ADP Reports Solid Job Growth in April
The government doesn't break out hiring by company size , but it will give some indication of how small businesses are faring. That contrasted with the Bureau of Labor Statistics' jobs report, which showed the economy added 98,000 jobs.
Even if Neymar were to be found guilty, he is unlikely to serve a prison term, with sentences of under two years typically suspended by Spanish jurisdiction.
Brazilian investment company DIS argue that they are owed 40 per cent of the additional fee, as they owned that percentage of the midfielder's image rights at the time of his transfer to Catalonia.
Both Barcelona and Neymar were subsequently charged for tax fraud.
They are also seeking a five-year sentence for former club president Sandro Rosell, who resigned over the scandal in 2014.
Neymar signed a bumper new deal with the club to extend his contract until 2021 in July 2016 despite admitting he held talks with Paris Saint-Germain amidst interest from a host of top European clubs in luring him away.
- Healing garden to open at children's hospital in DC
- At 100 days in, Trump seems both outsider and insider
- 'Black Ops 3 Zombies Chronicles' Official With 8 Remastered Maps This Month
- UT Austin stabbing: Here's what happened and what we know so far
- Levee breach leads to flooding in northeast Arkansas
- New Afghanistan troop plan goes to White House next week
- Nintendo packs big screens into its small new $150 2DS XL
- Does Kourtney Kardashian Have A Beau?
- Know your SSLC results from 2 PM today, here is the link
- KM Mani, CPM face brickbats for 'opportunism'