The CBI raided the residences of an Income Tax Commissioner and at least six other senior officials here on Wednesday morning, official sources said.
"The CBI laid a trap and caught the commissioner receiving Rs 19.34 lakh from the real estate agent", Gaur said.
Sources suggest the Commissioner has been charged for allegedly taking a bribe of Rs 19 lakh to favour a major corporate group. The investigation agency suspects that the cash seized from the officials was part of Rs 2 crore bribe, which he had sought from a Mumbai-based firm's owner. Apart from Essar House, the CBI conducted searches in Mumbai and Visakhapatnam and seized property documents, details of bank accounts, three lockers and several documents. Mittal was looking into the matter, the CBI also said.
Highlighting the manner in which the money changed hands, the CBI said Prasad got in touch with Choksi through an associate, Visakhapatnam-based Suresh Jain who is in the bullion and real estate business. Later during the probe, the remaining amount of Rs 1.50 crore was also traced from Jain who had received the money on behalf of Prasad on an earlier occasion.
Obama admin asked that 1934 Americans' names be 'unmasked' in intel
The information comes from a transparency report from the office of Dan Coats, the director of national intelligence. They said they had no breakdown of how many individuals' phone records were among those collected.
After the installments reached Suresh Jain in Visakhapatnam, Prasad took leave from his office, and reached there and stayed at his residence in Visalakshinagar. The trust denied the allegations. "On April 21, 2017, an order was passed by Prasad favouring the Trust".
"There was a routine survey of records, conducted by CBI at the offices of two of our executives in connection with some I-T assessment orders. Our executives are innocent and the company stands by them", the spokesperson said.
The CBI subsequently produced Bajpai, Parikh, Mittal and Manish in the Sessions Court and obtained transit remand so that they could be taken to Vishakapatnam for further investigations.
- Chinas Didi closes over $5.5 bn funding round
- Ubisoft Looks To Be Teasing A New Far Cry Game
- Humans May Have Occupied North America 100000 Years Earlier Than Thought
- Chicago Bears trade up, take QB Trubisky with No. 2 pick
- Pitch at Manny Machado's head sparked a heated exchange with Dustin Pedroia
- Independence Realty Trust Inc (IRT) Shares Sold by Guggenheim Capital LLC
- Nintendo isn't done with handhelds - meet the New Nintendo 2DS XL
- O'Sullivan bows out of world championship
- French appeals court authorizes extradition of ex-Kosovo PM Haradinaj
- At 100 days in, Trump seems both outsider and insider