This comes as a shock to just about everyone.
Prior to the draft, the Bears had met with the likes of DeShone Kizer and Deshaun Watson, but were not connected with many interactions with Trubisky. Instead the Bears traded spots with the San Francisco 49ers and also sent them their third-round pick (67th overall), a fourth-round pick (111th overall) and a 2018 third-round selection in order to select Trubisky.
Bears general manager Ryan Pace announced earlier in the offseason that Glennon is the team's unquestioned starter, but Glennon's long-term future in Chicago now looks bleak.
Trubisky has been considered the top quarterback in the draft and was reportedly coveted by the Cleveland Browns, the most quarterback-hungry team in the league.
Chinas Didi closes over $5.5 bn funding round
Cheng and President Jean Liu hope that adopting driverless technology will help overcome such hurdles in the future. Didi wants to take advantage of data on 300 million users across some 400 cities.
Trubisky started just 13 games in college, spending two seasons on the bench behind two-year starter Marquise Williams. Granted, he had a monster season in 2016 throwing for over 3,700 yards and 30 touchdowns, while only throwing six interceptions. When he does see the field, Trubisky's standout rushing skills could give him a decent floor even as he develops as a passer. Trubisky would immediately compete with Mike Glennon for the starting job in Chicago. "The (Bears) found something they loved with him", said Jeff Cassella, the athletic director at Mentor High School, "he's going to be the face of that franchise for years", he added.
This was the biggest draft of Pace's tenure as Bears GM and he wasn't afraid to make a splash.
Trubisky had one of the best seasons of any quarterback in Carolina history as a redshirt junior last season.
- BOJ keeps monetary policy unchanged, says 2020 Games to help
- Dortmund's Dembele stuns Bayern in cup semi
- New BlackBerry smartphone with physical keyboard to hit Canadian stores in May
- Cespedes hurt in Mets' 6th straight loss, 7-5 to Braves
- Fox News' parent company seeking female co-president candidates
- French appeals court authorizes extradition of ex-Kosovo PM Haradinaj
- Apple's competitor to Venmo could be on the way
- Predators' Fiala out of playoffs after breaking leg
- Illinois House Approves Public Funding for Abortions
- US Defense Secretary visits Afghanistan following deadly attack