Didi has tapped existing investors including Japan's SoftBank, China Merchants Bank and a unit of China's Bank of Communications, the person said.
"With this new investment, Didi will continue to work with communities and partners around the world to provide more innovative mobility services, and expand smart urban transportation programmes as part of its efforts to build an efficient and sustainable global mobility ecosystem", according to an emailed statement.
At $50 billion, Didi's valuation is propelled well above that of Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi, which held the title of China's most valuable startup after a 2014 funding round put it at $46 billion.
Predators' Fiala out of playoffs after breaking leg
He helped generate some offense which led to the first Predators' goal and looked ready to take his game to the next level. The Blues found themselves down 2-1 in the third period, but Lehtera scored a huge goal at the 7:39 mark to tie the game.
Uber and Didi Chuxing used to be fierce competitors once in the country, but Didi purchased the operations of Uber in the Chinese market previous year, once it became clear that both the businesses were losing money because of the competition, which led them to finance losses as they were offering deep discounts to capture market share.
Mr Son made a similar bet two decades ago on China e-commerce giant Alibaba Group, an investment that proved to be his most lucrative ever with a paper profit of $US85 billion.
Apple has invested $1 billion in Didi. Last month it officially opened a lab researching artificial intelligence-related driving technologies in Silicon Valley in the US.
Cheng and President Jean Liu hope that adopting driverless technology will help overcome such hurdles in the future. This makes it not just Uber's closest rival in ride-hailing apps, but the second most valuable private tech startup after its American competitor full stop. Didi wants to take advantage of data on 300 million users across some 400 cities. And it's already lured dozens of stalwarts in the field including former Uber auto-security expert Charlie Miller, known for remotely hacking into a Jeep Cherokee in 2015.
- Cespedes hurt in Mets' 6th straight loss, 7-5 to Braves
- The Masters Of The Universe movie is coming to cinemas in 2019!
- Chris Soules' phone use could determine outcome in fatal crash
- Kelly Sotherton upgraded to Olympic bronze after Tatyana Chernova doping disqualification
- 'Bachelor' star called 911 before allegedly fleeing scene
- IPhones That Charge Over Wi-Fi? Apple Is Working On It
- BOJ keeps monetary policy unchanged, says 2020 Games to help
- Containment of southern Arizona wildfire at 20 percent
- El Clasico: How Ronaldo fumed at teammates after Messi's goal
- US Defense Secretary visits Afghanistan following deadly attack