It was a decision that might have cost Swansea when Shaqiri was bundled over in the box by Fernandez - but Arnautovic's spot-kick was wild.
Hull remain two points above Swansea in 17th place after beating Watford 2-0, but Clement feels the momentum has shifted back towards his side.
Casual play at the back nearly cost Stoke early on, but Bruno Martins Indi recovered to prevent Gylfi Sigurdsson cutting the ball back to Llorente in the six-yard box.
The hosts began brightly and were ahead after just 10 minutes, Gylfi Sigurdsson's corner falling neatly to the unmarked Fernando Llorente, who leapt up and headed past returning goalkeeper Jack Butland.
Sigurdsson has now provided a league-high seven assists from set-plays this season and created 44 chances from dead-ball situations.
Carroll nearly scored a second as Swansea carved Stoke open, but Stoke keeper Jack Butland, making his first appearance after a year out with an ankle injury, pulled off an acrobatic save to deny him.
However, the Stoke fans will hope the team can end the campaign strongly, with a top-half finish firmly in the Bet365 Stadium outfit's reach.
York police arrest over 100 men in child prostitution investigation
Canadian police have arrested 104 men in connection with a child prostitution ring in and around the Toronto area. The investigation, dubbed Project Raphael, lasted four years. "I would be very careful and gentle with you".
Stoke manager Mark Hughes bemoaned Marko Arnautovic's missed second-half penalty as the turning point.
As Swansea pushed on for a third, so Butland was forced to pull off a wonderful save from another long range effort from the increasing influential Carroll.
Speaking on BBC's Match of the Day, former Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard singled him out following another lacklustre display from relegation-threatened Swansea that extended their winless run to six games.
- Only Kevin De Bruyne (13) has more Premier League assists than Gyfli Sigurdsson this season (12 - level with Eriksen), while the Icelandic worldwide has provided more from set plays than any other player in the competition (7). Away from Britannia, Stoke have won just three games so far this season.
"But they scored from their first corner".
Alfie Mawson was signed in the summer by the Swansea and has been a regular starter under Paul Clement, playing the full 90 minutes in the Swans' last 19 league games.
- Mnuchin says will unveil tax reform plan 'very soon'
- Delhi School Boy Celebrating Last Exam Rams Car Into Pavement, 1 Killed
- Microsoft commits to major Windows feature releases twice a year
- Ronald Koeman urges Everton to replicate home form on the road
- New Alleged Photos Of Moto X (2017) Leaked
- Florida unemployment rate drops to 4.8 percent
- Justice Dept threatens sanctuary cities in immigration fight
- Erdogan to meet Trump on May 16-17 in Washington
- Indian officials to lose red beacon lights atop their cars
- Celebrate Earth Day by Marching for Science in St. Pete