Usually just the tip of an iceberg is visible, with the rest of the mass beneath the waves, so many run aground when they float near the coast.
The massive iceberg has become a tourist attraction in Ferryland, where cars were backed up bumper to bumper Sunday as curious onlookers tried to get a glimpse of it.
A large iceberg passes the South Shore, also known as "Iceberg Alley", near Ferryland, Newfoundland, Canada April 16.
"It's a huge iceberg and it's in so close that people can get a good photograph of it", Mayor Adrian Kavanagh told the Canadian press.
A towering iceberg stationed off Newfoundland's east coast is drawing dozens of people to the small shoreline community sitting in its shadow.
Alaskan oil well leaking gas
In general, oil companies have been producing oil and pumping associated natural gas back into reservoirs. According to Bloomberg , BP is now "putting together a plan to plug the gas leak".
"It's the biggest one I ever seen around here".
Hundreds of people have made the trek from the surrounding area and St. John's, an hour's drive away, he said.
The International Ice Patrol said 648 icebergs have been seen in the trans-Atlantic shipping lanes as of this week. Numbers already are near 600, which is typically what the area sees in an entire season, according to the Canadian Press.
The early arrival and abundance of icebergs has caused concern for some scientists and observers, as experts have attributed the early bergs to strong counter-clockwise winds or possibly to climate change. This year, there's been a big uptick in icebergs traveling through what is knows as "iceberg alley".
Kavanagh reminded iceberg-watchers to be safe along the cliffs when trying to take photos.
- US carrier heading toward Korean Peninsula
- Prince Harry would "love" to have children
- New Book: Obama Had to Push Hillary to Concede 2016 Election
- UC Berkeley calls off Ann Coulter talk for security reasons
- Mountain lion snatches family dog from California home
- GM announces China version of hybrid Volt
- Elite men, bulk of field start Boston Marathon
- Pence to visit mosque in Indonesian capital
- Kim Kardashian Skips Angel Gala to be by Kanye's Side After Breakdown
- Talk-radio host Alex Jones argues persona in custody dispute