Today the Federal Antimonopoly Service of Russia (FAS) announced the approval of a settlement of the two-year old Android antitrust case in Russia.
In August 2016, FAS imposed a 438 million rouble ($7.8 million) fine on Google which the company still has to pay after reaching the settlement, FAS said.
Under the settlement with the Russian antitrust watchdog FAS, Google has agreed to stop forcing smartphone makers to install the company's software on an obligatory basis. That's allowed Google to set strict conditions for any phone manufacturer that wants to build a phone with access to the Play Store's millions of apps.
Trump pulls his punches on China and Germany
The report also called on Japan to do more "to revive domestic demand and combat low inflation while avoiding a return to export-led growth".
She a year ago claimed Google required other smartphone makers to pre-install its search and browser apps and that it also stopped them from selling devices running on competing operating systems and claims that they were handed "financial incentives" by Google to put only Google's search on devices.
Let us remind that as far back as in September 2015 the FAS Russia established that Google had violated Part 1 Article 10 of the Federal Law "On Protection of Competition" by abusing its market dominance. The Google search bar will be replaced with a Chrome widget and Russian search engines will be able to appear on the screen. The fine amounts to 9 percent of Google's revenue in Russia in 2014, plus inflations, Russian news agency TASS says. This widget will prompt users with a "choice screen", where they can select between Yandex, Google, or any other search engine who may sign a commercial agreement with Google for inclusion on this list. Google will also no longer require Google Search to be the only general search engine that's pre-installed, and it will no longer enforce its prior agreements where handset makers had agreed to any of these terms.
The deal also makes it possible for other applications to be pre-installed on Android devices in Russian Federation.
- West Virginia governor drops actual bull manure on state's budget
- Finn Balor Reportedly Injured at Raw
- How to Activate YouTube Dark Mode in Windows 10 & macOS
- Chinese foreign minister: No winners if Korea war breaks out
- USA troops to help Somalia fight al-Shabab
- Cristiano Ronaldo: "The two goals in Munich were incredible"
- MMJ Regulation Bill Has Seen Many Amendments So Far in Montana Legislature
- Mauricio Pochettino: Tottenham's Dele Alli can be better than Barca's Neymar
- Dave Chappelle and John Mayer Paid a Musical Tribute to Charlie Murphy
- Tusk, May to maintain regular contact during Brexit negotiations