Former Barcelona striker David Villa helped lead New York City FC to a 2-0 victory Friday with a jaw-dropping chip from 53 yards out against the lowly Philadelphia Union. Blake blocked Villa's shot in the 83rd and the rebound attempt sailed over the crossbar.
With six months still go to in the regular season, there's plenty of time for someone else to unseat Villa with the goal of the year, but as of right now, this was the best goal we've seen.
After scoring 18 goals in his first year in the league, he upped his total to 23 in 33 appearances for NYCFC last year, helping NYCFC to its first playoff appearance in club's history.
"It was really tough because I was really exhausted", Villa said on ESPN afterward, "so I just thought I'd go for it".
Speaking after the match Villa admitted that he was even stunned by the goal, and on NYCFC's great road performance.
Dave Chappelle and John Mayer Paid a Musical Tribute to Charlie Murphy
Big brother to Eddie Murphy , Charlie died that morning after battling leukemia at a NY hospital. John closed the reflective moment in his show by performing You're Gonna Live Forever in Me .
"It was among the more challenging within my profession, for sure!"
"We wanted to win the game, we were 1-0, but in some situations the other team can score, and with this goal, the game was won".
"Of course it was among the most effective goals I've ever seen".
The Frenchman said: "When I realised that the ball was in the back of the net, it was fantastic".
The win saw NY climb back to the top of the Eastern Conference table, level with Columbus Crew on 10 points.
- WWE superstar and MI native Rhyno now on 'Monday Night Raw'
- Senate Confirms Neil Gorsuch to Supreme Court
- Mets' special event uniforms have been announced
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Nougat Update Insults S7 Users
- Mauricio Pochettino: Tottenham's Dele Alli can be better than Barca's Neymar
- Young Yankees ready to return for home opener
- OnePlus 3T vs Galaxy A7(2017) vs Nexus 6P: Mid-budget Android tussle
- IPL-10: Mumbai aim to deny Sunrisers hattrick of wins
- West Virginia governor drops actual bull manure on state's budget
- Finn Balor Reportedly Injured at Raw