Five of the seven teams who earned more revenue a year ago than the Phillies made the playoffs.
Notably, the Phillies led Major League Baseball in operating income with a surplus of $87.7 million.
Overall, the Tigers are worth $1.2 billion, according to Forbes. That's up from $142.3 million or 8.3% from last season.
But in the past seven seasons, Forbes projects the value of the Cubs as having increased by more than 180 percent, factoring for inflation.
That added capital should work wonders for the team over the next two decades.
ABC news anchor's reaction after being caught daydreaming is priceless! (Watch Video)
In a statement to media - which you can read here - Morris said that reports Exelby had lost her job "are untrue". Exelby is an experienced TV reporter who has previously presented the news on Channel 10.
The Mets ranked sixth on the list - after the Dodgers, Red Sox, Cubs and Giants - at an estimated value of $2 billion, with revenue of $332 million and operating income of $31.7 million. The Padres are one of 23 clubs worth at least $1 billion.
The Yankees were ranked as the most valuable franchise - no surprise there - at $3.7 billion.
According to the annual valuation rankings from Forbes, the average value of an Major League Baseball franchise jumped 19% in the past year thanks to local TV deals, rising profits and MLB's expanded focus on branching out with new technologies. It is the second-highest average value behind only the NFL. That said, if the team plays well, more people will come to the park and prices can be increased for tickets, merchandise and ads.
However, Forbes also pointed out that trend may not continue considering the luxury tax will be raised over the next few seasons. Michael Ilitch bought the team for $85 million in 1992 and had in recent years authorized a payroll among the highest in baseball.
- N. Korea fires ballistic missile ahead of Trump-Xi meeting
- Trial of Samsung Heir Focuses on Father-to-son Succession
- U.S. Carrier Diverts to North Asia Amid North Korea Tension
- Michael Caine Cites Winston Churchill With 'Going In Style' Advice
- In Georgia race, Republicans battle as Democrat chases upset
- Motives for North Korea's latest missile test
- Aspen Skiing Co., KSL buying Intrawest Resorts Holdings
- Delta cancels flights for third day after storm hits Atlanta
- IPL 2017 5th Match: Jadhav stars as Royal Challengrs take down Daredevils
- March Madness: Gonzaga holds off SC to reach final