A separate study by the Economic Policy Institute, which supports workers' interests, pegged the current gender gap at 22 percent, after controlling for race, ethnicity, education, experience and location.
The smallest wage gaps were reported in New York, Delaware, and Florida.
Lack of paid family leave: Women with family care obligations - for a new child or an elderly parent - lose income during periods of unpaid family care leave. "Entire communities, states and our country suffer because lawmakers have not done almost enough to end wage gap discrimination or to advance the fair and family-friendly workplace policies that would help erase the wage gap". Women in that age group earned 90 cents to the dollar earned by men, compared to the 67 cents they earned in 1980. At least that's what men call it. Generations of women before me have told each other the same thing. It's a sobering reminder of the wage gap in the U.S and a hint that there is a lot of work to do, like banning salary history questions, in order to make workplaces equitable.
Although spring is in the air and we are well into 2017, if you're a woman, your paycheck is stuck in time, specifically at December 31, 2016.
Lavalin swoops for Atkins
This breaking news story is being updated as more information emerges - please refresh the page for the most recent version. SNC-Lavalin is approximately twice the size of Atkins, with approximately 35,000 employees to Atkins' 18,000 employees.
Senior research associate Julie Anderson says that won't change as long as so many women in the state are trapped in low-wage jobs.
Similar measures are being considered nationwide, and lawmakers on Capitol Hill have re-introduced legislation aimed at narrowing the wage gap by eliminating loopholes in the Equal Pay Act.
Pelosi said pay inequality "disrespects women's work, undermines families, robs their retirement and weakens our economy and communities".
The 1963 Equal Pay Act and the 2009 Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act have strengthened legal channels for women to claim equitable pay, but more is needed to end wage discrimination against women.
The National Committee on Pay Equity picked April 4th because it symbolizes how far into the year women must work to earn what their male colleagues earned in the previous year.
- Venezuela court says it can take over Congress' powers
- Warren Buffett is the face of Cherry Coke in China
- Alex Rodriguez Breaks Silence on Jennifer Lopez; Are They Dating?
- Derrick Rose to have knee surgery again and miss rest of season
- Senate GOP needs Pence to break tie on family planning funds
- One team in London? I respect all clubs - Conte responds to Wenger
- 'Itty Bitty' guard big in Bulldogs lore after UConn shocker
- Strong storms, heavy rain possible Sunday night, Monday morning
- Konta beats Wozniacki to claim Miami Open title
- Derrick Rose Suffers Torn Meniscus