Multiple Democratic leadership sources on Capitol Hill have been operating under the assumption that an O'Rourke Senate campaign is inevitable. "Congressman Beto O'Rourke has a big announcement to make on Friday".
O'Rourke said he speaks to Castro daily.
A Cruz spokesperson declined to comment on the announcement.
U.S. Rep. Joaquín Castro, D-San Antonio, also has been considering entering the Senate race and has promised a decision by the end of April. But an official from the Senate Republicans' campaign arm was quick to dismiss the challenge as not serious. "He plans to make his decision in the coming weeks".
The state is still firmly conservative, and Texas has not elected a Democrat statewide since 1994. The Houston Chronicle describes him as an "unabashed liberal who supports recreational marijuana" and is very lax on immigration. His father once was the El Paso County judge, and O'Rourke is a former member of the El Paso city council.
LaVar Ball was a Jets training camp scrub in 1994-95
Maybe he really does believe it, maybe he doesn't, but LaVar is doing well to keep his son's name in the news stream. I can not wait for the guy to just fade away from existence.
Cruz, who was one of the last GOP candidates standing in the race to the White House, said he planned to run for re-election in May 2016.
Cruz, meanwhile, appears to be steadying his political ship after a rough post-presidential campaign stretch that included being booed off the stage at the Republican National Convention.
"It's pretty clear that running and losing a Senate race is a better option than circling the drain in the permanent Democratic minority in the House", Katie Martin, National Republican Senatorial Committee communications director, told CNN.
Democrats need to defend 25 seats in 2018, including 10 in states that President Trump carried in the 2016 election. O'Rourke has a knack for harnessing the Internet. An able campaigner, the Texas senator boosted his national prominence past year after finishing second in the crowded 2016 GOP presidential primary. Will Hurd (R-Texas) after an East Coast storm grounded all flights to Washington.
Earlier this month, Mr. O'Rourkegenerated favorable press riding shotgun with Rep.
- Judge Approves Plan on Fix for 18000 Flint Water Lines
- Comey wanted to reveal Russian meddling months before election
- Where will Raiders play next season? Lawyers reviewing lease
- Canadian ship involved in massive cocaine bust in international waters
- NBC Getting Rid Of Tape Delays For Olympics
- Lance Stephenson Reportedly Signs 3-Year Contract to Reunite with Pacers
- White House invites Congress investigation leaders to view documents
- Adele Says, 'I Don't Know If I Will Ever Tour Again'
- Saints coach Payton: Team not looking to bring in Manziel
- Scarlett Johansson, more break out at 'Ghost in the Shell' premiere