Saturday, 19 January 2019
Latest news
Main » Mobile scrambles as 911 outage leaves two dead in Texas

Mobile scrambles as 911 outage leaves two dead in Texas

17 March 2017

A six-month-old boy died in Dallas, Texas after his babysitter couldn't get through to 911.

Police officials have used overtime to beef up staffing in the 911 call center.

Alex said she rushed home to pick up her son and get him to a hospital, but that was almost an hour after the babysitter had made the first call to 911 and by then, Brandon had stopped breathing. On the third attempt, the babysitter was placed on hold for 30 minutes while another person performed CPR. "We can only confirm that the caller was using a T-Mobile device and tried reaching 911 Saturday evening, during the spike in calls".

The city says extra staffers will work in the 911 call center to alleviate the wait times.

In a statement, city authorities said when the call takers called back, they could not reach the sitter.

Howard also said she feels for the family and the dispatcher in Dallas.

Officials say engineers will examine how T-Mobile cellular technology and the city's 911 infrastructure interact with each other.

Oil Price Plunge Leads to Falling Gas Prices
The supervisor at this station said they dropped their prices because a competitor across the street kept lowering theirs. Nearby, drivers in Pinellas County were paying an average of $2.13, with those in Hillsborough slightly higher at $2.15.

Brandon's mother sped home and took him to a hospital for surgery.

Rawlings was joined at a press conference Wednesday afternoon by City Manager T.C. Broadnax and high-ranking T-Mobile officials.

While the boy's death underscored the problem with the ghost calls, city officials have known about the issues for months. On the last call, she spent 31 minutes on hold and still never got to speak to a dispatcher.

The mayor of Dallas has blasted T-Mobile for what happened, saying they need to move faster to fix it. If callers hang up, they lose their spot on hold and go to the back of the queue. "At the end of the day, I'm still going to be here hurt, because he's not going to be here", she said.

"I don't want to start hearing about more people dying as a result of people waiting to get through for help", Taffet told The Dallas News.

Rawlings said city leaders have had "long and frank conversations" about the ghost calls with T-Mobile executives.

Dallas police investigated but found no evidence connecting Brandon Alex's death to T-Mobile's ghost call glitch. According to the Federal Communications Commission, in 2015, T-Mobile US Inc paid $17.5 million to settle a USA investigation of two 911 service outages from the previous year that prevented callers from reaching first responders for three hours. "Like I thought 911 one was supposed to be there to help us but in this case I lost my son".

Mobile scrambles as 911 outage leaves two dead in Texas