If you want to participate - and help save Honey Nut Cheerios' famous bee mascot, Buzz - you can sign up to receive your own packet of seeds here. So General Mills is on a mission to plant 100 million wildflower seeds to #BringBackTheBees. They cited a statistic that "1 in 3 bites of food we eat is made possible by bees and other pollinators".
The company notes bee populations, a crucial pollinator for food supplies, have been declining in recent years.
"Buzz is missing because there's something serious going on with the world's bees".
Cherrios cereal brand is stepping up to help save the extinction of bees with their new campaign, '#BringBacktheBees'. Over the past two decades its population has declined by a staggering 90 percent.
Suspect arrested after intrusion into White House grounds
The White House's south entrance is often used to greet VIP guests, such as Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu last month. He was carrying two cans of mace as well as a USA passport, a computer and one of the president's books, authorities said.
Therefore, Cheerios proclaimed that "People need bees".
"Today's endangered species listing is the best - and probably last - hope for the recovery of the rusty patched bumble bee", Rebecca Riley, senior attorney with the Natural Resources Defense Council, told the Huffington Post.
But bee colonies are collapsing around the world as parasites, pesticides and habitat loss take a deadly toll. So, if the pollinators, like bees suffer, so do food sources. For the first time this year, a bee species in the US was declared endangered by the US Fish and Wildlife Service.
According to statistics sourced for the campaign, 70 percent of the top 100 human food crops are pollinated by bees and 42 percent of bee colonies in the USA collapsed in 2015.
- Boaty McBoatface Makes Inaugural Voyage to Antarctica
- Netanyahu Congratulates Mobil-Eye on Largest Deal in Israeli History
- Lukaku deal still very much on the table
- Check these 5 alternatives to the Samsung Galaxy 8
- Airlines expect to cancel thousands of flights due to snowstorm
- These "Clear Knee Mom Jeans" Have Divided the Internet
- Liverpool and Birmingham battle to host Commonwealth Games 2022
- Another threat at Whitefish Bay Jewish Community Center
- Oil Price Plunge Leads to Falling Gas Prices
- Nebraska unemployment rate remains unchanged for January