If you want to participate - and help save Honey Nut Cheerios' famous bee mascot, Buzz - you can sign up to receive your own packet of seeds here. So General Mills is on a mission to plant 100 million wildflower seeds to #BringBackTheBees. They cited a statistic that "1 in 3 bites of food we eat is made possible by bees and other pollinators".
The company notes bee populations, a crucial pollinator for food supplies, have been declining in recent years.
"Buzz is missing because there's something serious going on with the world's bees".
Cherrios cereal brand is stepping up to help save the extinction of bees with their new campaign, '#BringBacktheBees'. Over the past two decades its population has declined by a staggering 90 percent.
Bottled Water More Popular in the US Than Soda Pop
While annual per capita consumption of bottled water reached 39.3 gallons, carbonated soft drinks slipped to 38.5 gallons.
Therefore, Cheerios proclaimed that "People need bees".
"Today's endangered species listing is the best - and probably last - hope for the recovery of the rusty patched bumble bee", Rebecca Riley, senior attorney with the Natural Resources Defense Council, told the Huffington Post.
But bee colonies are collapsing around the world as parasites, pesticides and habitat loss take a deadly toll. So, if the pollinators, like bees suffer, so do food sources. For the first time this year, a bee species in the US was declared endangered by the US Fish and Wildlife Service.
According to statistics sourced for the campaign, 70 percent of the top 100 human food crops are pollinated by bees and 42 percent of bee colonies in the USA collapsed in 2015.
- Lukaku deal still very much on the table
- François Fillon under formal investigation in scandal over misuse of public funds
- Trump, Merkel meeting postponed due to weather
- Pope Francis considers allowing married men to become priests
- Sidney Jones Suffers Leg Injury At Washington's Pro Day
- Patriots Aquire Receiver Brandin Cooks From Saints for Top Draft Pick
- Another threat at Whitefish Bay Jewish Community Center
- Turkish shop owner sues Dutch king over ministers block
- The Flash Exclusive: Barry Reunites with Eddie Thawne (Kind Of)
- PSG win cost Barcelona at Depor, concedes Luis Enrique