The autonomous underwater vehicle is a 3.62-meter-long, 700-kg "autosub" capable of traveling under ice at depths of up to 6,000 meters. The remotely operated underwater research vessel will be undertaking its first research mission as part of an Antarctic expedition that starts Friday, NPR reports. The information that it collects will help scientists to better understand how the ocean is being impacted by global warming.
Boaty McBoatface is ready for duty.
The winning entry ended up being "Boaty McBoatface", but NERC officials balked at the name and eventually chose to name the vessel after Sir David Attenborough, the famed British naturalist and broadcaster.
The NERC, however, said it would have the final say, and that the most popular name would not necessarily be the one chosen. In a now-infamous event, the public voted for Boaty McBoatface, but the humourless British government deemed it unsuitable, choosing the much more boring name of Sir David Attenborough instead.
NCAA Tournament Bracket Is Set
If so, will Wake Forest be playing in Dayton? This Cincinnati team is one tough squad and has the talent to be Sweet 16 bound. The victor will be the No. 11 seed in the South Region, advancing to play No. 6 Cincinnati on Friday in Sacramento, Calif.
Boaty is to depart Punta Arenas in Chile on 17 March with the DynOPO (Dynamics of Orkney Passage Outflow) expedition.
"Our goal is to learn enough about these convoluted processes to represent them in models that scientists use to predict how our climate will evolve over the 21 century and beyond", said lead researcher Dr. Alberto Naveira Garabato.
Boaty McBoatface is heading out to join the fight against climate change.
Scientists from the University of Southampton and the British Antarctic Survey will launch Boaty into what the survey group describes as "some of the deepest and coldest abyssal ocean waters on Earth".
And as for Boaty's next big adventure, Britain's National Oceanography Center hopes the sub can make the first under-ice crossing of the Arctic, BBC reported, a novel feat slated for 2018 or 2019.
- Turkish shop owner sues Dutch king over ministers block
- Trump, Merkel meeting postponed due to weather
- PSG win cost Barcelona at Depor, concedes Luis Enrique
- Liverpool and Birmingham battle to host Commonwealth Games 2022
- Alshon Jeffery pens goodbye to Chicago, Bears in Players' Tribune letter
- Netanyahu Congratulates Mobil-Eye on Largest Deal in Israeli History
- Oil Price Plunge Leads to Falling Gas Prices
- Wenger adamant his "preference" is to stay at Arsenal
- These "Clear Knee Mom Jeans" Have Divided the Internet
- Taiwan's Taoyuan airport named as having best airport staff