Liverpool's hopes of hosting the 2022 Commonwealth Games have been boosted with Durban set to bow out over financial issues.
Durban has been stripped of hosting the 2022 Commonwealth Games after failing to meet several of its obligations and commitments.
"The department, the KZN provincial government and the eThekwini municipality will host a briefing to convey government's response to the media statement issued by the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF)".
The sport and recreation department says it's yet to receive official communication from the Commonwealth Games Federation about the withdrawal of Durban's rights to host the 2022 games.
"The CGF is fully confident and committed to delivering a successful Commonwealth Games for athletes and fans in 2022", its president Louise Martin said.
Last month, South Africa sports minister Fikile Mbalula indicated the government might withdraw its financial support because of the cost of staging the multi-sport event, saying "we can not live beyond our means".
Last month, the South African sports minister Fikile Mbalula indicated the city may not be able to host the event because of financial constraints.
South Korean court to rule on president's impeachment over corruption charges
In a letter to the court, she apologized for her "carelessness" but said she never sought personal gain. Park was impeached by parliament in December and stripped of her powers pending the court's ruling.
Durban was awarded the Games in 2015, after preferred option Edmonton, in Canada, pulled out after local opposition.
It was on the basis of their recommendation that the CGF board made its decision on Monday. But without the necessary Government guarantees, we couldn't move on.
The next Games are set to be held in 2018 at the Gold Coast, Australia.
"Besides, it would have made it increasingly hard for another potential host city if we had delayed the process any further", said Sam.
Birmingham had already expressed an interest in staging the 2026 Games, as had Liverpool.
South Africa has also been touted as a possible Olympic host, and was considering bidding for the Summer Games in as early as 2028.
- NCAA Tournament Bracket Is Set
- Carolina Panthers trade Kony Ealy to New England Patriots
- Taylor Swift Granted Order of Protection Against Alleged Stalker
- Alshon Jeffery pens goodbye to Chicago, Bears in Players' Tribune letter
- Exit polls in India hint at victory for premier's party
- Starbucks' new cups for spring are here to brighten up your day
- PSG win cost Barcelona at Depor, concedes Luis Enrique
- Jaguars sign former Texans cornerback and UCF alum AJ Bouye
- Oil Price Plunge Leads to Falling Gas Prices
- Big Ten Championship Pick: Will Michigan stay hot vs. Wisconsin? 3/12/17