Liverpool's hopes of hosting the 2022 Commonwealth Games have been boosted with Durban set to bow out over financial issues.
Durban has been stripped of hosting the 2022 Commonwealth Games after failing to meet several of its obligations and commitments.
"The department, the KZN provincial government and the eThekwini municipality will host a briefing to convey government's response to the media statement issued by the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF)".
The sport and recreation department says it's yet to receive official communication from the Commonwealth Games Federation about the withdrawal of Durban's rights to host the 2022 games.
"The CGF is fully confident and committed to delivering a successful Commonwealth Games for athletes and fans in 2022", its president Louise Martin said.
Last month, South Africa sports minister Fikile Mbalula indicated the government might withdraw its financial support because of the cost of staging the multi-sport event, saying "we can not live beyond our means".
Last month, the South African sports minister Fikile Mbalula indicated the city may not be able to host the event because of financial constraints.
Jaguars sign former Texans cornerback and UCF alum AJ Bouye
While the details of the deal and figures aren't official, it's clear that the Jaguars are not here to play around anymore. Considering his young age, it is also possible that the player has yet to reach his potential.
Durban was awarded the Games in 2015, after preferred option Edmonton, in Canada, pulled out after local opposition.
It was on the basis of their recommendation that the CGF board made its decision on Monday. But without the necessary Government guarantees, we couldn't move on.
The next Games are set to be held in 2018 at the Gold Coast, Australia.
"Besides, it would have made it increasingly hard for another potential host city if we had delayed the process any further", said Sam.
Birmingham had already expressed an interest in staging the 2026 Games, as had Liverpool.
South Africa has also been touted as a possible Olympic host, and was considering bidding for the Summer Games in as early as 2028.
- Alshon Jeffery pens goodbye to Chicago, Bears in Players' Tribune letter
- SAP to offer its business apps on Google Cloud
- Bottled Water More Popular in the US Than Soda Pop
- Wenger adamant his "preference" is to stay at Arsenal
- Starbucks' new cups for spring are here to brighten up your day
- Netanyahu Congratulates Mobil-Eye on Largest Deal in Israeli History
- Pope Francis considers allowing married men to become priests
- Let the Madness Begin!… NCAA Tourney is Here
- Crazy Couples Rumor: Is Jennifer Lopez Dating Alex Rodriguez?
- South Korea's president ousted, headed for prosecution