The heaviest woman in the world underwent successful weight-loss surgery, doctors announced Thursday.
The Saifee Hospital said, "We are happy to inform all well-wishers that the medical team of Saifee Hospital has successfully performed the surgery".
Eman is in India for the lifesaving surgery thanks to her sister Shaimma Ahmed, who past year launched a social media campaign drawing attention to her sister's plight.
Traditional planes and air ambulances couldn't accommodate a passenger of her size, so in what Egypt Air claimed was an industry first, the airline adapted a cargo plane especially to transport the patient to India. Since February Eman has lost 220 pounds (100 kgs) weight successfully and doctors are optimistic that she will lose more weight over the course of her treatment.
For Ms Ahmed, the doctors hope to make her lose around 440 pounds in the next six months.
Hawks' Dennis Schroder benched after argument with Dwight Howard
He's been their best player and without him it's hard to imagine the Warriors can reach the NBA Finals for a third straight year. It's only the first week of March, but we're nearing the point of this New York Knicks season when the standings are irrelevant.
After the medical procedure, Abd El Aty has been on a fluid diet.
Eman Ahmed, after her first laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy surgery, is able to sit.
The 36-year-old is now on an oral fluids diet and accepting them well.
Abd El Aty has suffered a stroke and faced a series of other serious ailments owing to her weight including diabetes, high blood pressure, hypertension and sleep deprivation. "Her smile has come back". According to her team of doctors, they will now focus attention on dealing with emerging medical issues associated with her weight loss surgery before she is due to return to Egypt. It was the first time that left her room after 25 years. The doctors aim to get her fit enough so that she can go back to her home in Egypt and start a new life. Eman's initial request for an Indian visa was denied, but a plea through Twitter led to involvement of India's foreign minister, who intervened, and eventually she was granted the visa.
Bariatric surgery, also known as weight loss surgery, is used as a last resort to treat people who are dangerously obese (having a body mass index of 40 or above or 35 plus other obesity-related health conditions).
- Korea to stop importing eggs from USA on bird flu outbreak
- South Korean court to rule on president's impeachment over corruption charges
- Shares of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD) Sees Large Outflow of Money
- Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks to make first film together
- Carolina Panthers trade Kony Ealy to New England Patriots
- RadioShack says failed Sprint deal led to bankruptcy filing
- Taylor Swift Granted Order of Protection Against Alleged Stalker
- More than 20000 refugees flee to China amid Myanmar ethnic conflict
- Low-intensity blast in passenger train in Madhya Pradesh: Railways
- SAP to offer its business apps on Google Cloud