The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) says it has over one billion dollars in unclaimed tax returns from 2013.
"People across the nation haven't filed tax returns to claim these refunds, and their window of opportunity is closing soon", IRS Commissioner John Koskinen said in a statement.
The reason? These 20,200 people never filed their 2013 federal tax return. If you didn't file you're tax return in 2013, you are *NOT* guaranteed a tax refund.
The department expects island taxpayers who owe taxes to file by the deadline, which will be April 18 this year, instead of the traditional April 15 filing date. It varies by state, with estimates ranging from $619 in Idaho to $917 in Alaska.
Male nurse 'secretly made videos of naked female patients'
Close was originally charged on February 13 with four counts of recording the 17-year old. Authorities say a Pennsylvania nurse recorded videos of naked female patients.
Now if you're anxious that filing your 2013 tax return three years late will result in a penalty that wipes out any potential refund and then some, fear not.
Does the US government still have your money?
The only way you'll find out is by filing.
The midpoint for potential refunds for 2013 is estimated to be $763. Students and many others may not realize they're due a tax refund. They may also be used to offset unpaid child support or past due federal debts such as student loans. Many low- and moderate-income workers may have been eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit, which was worth as much as $6,044 in 2013. The department recently confirmed it banned a few dozen taxpayers from claiming the Earned Income Tax Credit for claiming the tax credit even if they don't qualify.
- LeEco India Allegedly Fired 85% Of Staff, May Exit India
- Philadelphia Flyers Acquire Valtteri Filppula
- Nigeria's growth drops, but oil looking up
- China continues trend of sinking defense budget growth
- Would you buy the new Nokia 3310? (Poll results)
- Eurozone inflation above target for first time in 4 years
- Graham to meet with FBI Director Comey about Russian Federation investigation
- Nintendo Switch Uses Friend Codes to Add Friends
- Case Shiller: Chicago Area Home Prices Show Strongest Gains In 30 Months
- Active Volume Stock: Office Depot, Inc. (NASDAQ:ODP)