The Pittsburgh Penguins have been trying to solidify their blue line depth with numerous injuries to account for - so they have acquired defenseman Mark Streit from the Tampa Bay Lightning.
In a odd three-way trade, after the Flyers dealt Mark Streit to the Lightning, Tampa Bay has now moved Streit to Pittsburgh for a fourth round pick.
In 59 games with the Bolts this season, Filppula has seven goals and 34 points. That first-round pick was later traded to Toronto as part of a deal to move up in the 2015 draft and select Travis Konecny. Because Filppula, who spent eight years in the Detroit Red Wings organization, had a no movement clause, he has to be protected this summer in the National Hockey League expansion draft.
Joel Embiid Out Indefinitely With Knee Injury In Sixers Star's Latest Setback
The third overall pick in the 2014 NBA Draft, Embiid sat out the entire 2014 and 2015 seasons while recovering from a broken foot. Embiid has missed 14 of Philly's last 15 games with the knee ailment, which initially was thought to be a minor injury.
Philadelphia has a log jam at defense with a multitude of blue line prospects likely to make the jump to the National Hockey League next year.
The 39-year-old Streit has spent four years with the Flyers, the last three as an alternate captain. His $5 million cap hit is a small upgrade from Streit's $5.25 million cap hit - though the Flyers will retain some of Streit's salary, as per TSN's Darren Dreger.
From the Lightning's perspective, this was a creative move by Yzerman and his staff to shed a large salary while also opening up an expansion draft protection slot - addressing two significant off-ice concerns for the club as they prepare for another important summer.
- Sweden doesn't recognize 'national security adviser' interviewed on Fox News
- Male nurse 'secretly made videos of naked female patients'
- TR Property Investment Trust plc's (TRY) "Outperform" Rating Reiterated at Peel Hunt
- Wilbur Ross Confirmed as Commerce Secretary
- Europe's Mt. Etna Erupts In A Stunning Light Display
- Villarreal v Real Madrid 26 February 2017
- Pakistani PM Sharif opens key regional economic summit
- Arron Banks set to challenge UKIP's Douglas Carswell in Clacton
- New Trump order on travel and immigration expected Wednesday
- Everything you need to know about Pancake Day