And major Ukip donor Arron Banks has suggested he is ready to stand against Mr Carswell in the 2020 general election.
Nigel Farage, the ex-leader who maintains a prominent voice in the party, demanded in writing that Nigel Carswell be given the boot.
The 52-year-old who had dinner with US President Donald Trump earlier this week claimed Mr Carswell aggressively phoned him to gain "absolute assurance" Mr Farage would not play a leading part in the referendum campaign.
"Absolutely, that's exactly what we should be doing and I think maybe UKIP has slightly lost ownership of this argument", Farage said.
The MEP also claimed a "lot of people" have been calling for Carswell, who defected from the Tories to Ukip in 2014, to have the party's whip withdrawn.
Ukip's only MP is set for a crunch meeting with his party chairman this afternoon, just hours after Nigel Farage called for him to be sacked.
"We will have a high street shop in Clacton, professional agent appointed soon and I will be rolling my sleeves up".
Farage and Carswell are now embroiled in a bitter argument over claims Mr Carswell sabotaged Mr Farage's chances of being awarded a knighthood - an allegation strongly denied by the MP.
UN Syria sanctions vote sought next week; Russian Federation vows veto
The U.S. imposed its own sanctions in January on Syria's military and some officials. Assad's government has denied its forces have used chemical weapons.
'I think there is little future for UKIP with him staying inside this party.
In an exchange with the UKIP peer Lord Pearson, Mr Carswell indicated he had made some attempts to help but then he joked Mr Farage should get an OBE for "services to headline writers".
The comments came at the launch of a new paper looking into the impact of Brexit on the fishing industry called The Brexit Textbook on Fisheries - which we're sure you'll agree sounds like a real page-turner.
Carswell has been critical of the tone Farage and his supporters adopt when discussing immigration, and speaking to the Huff Post UK yesterday he argued the legacy of the "shock and awe" tactics used in the 2015 General Election still damaged the party. The time for him to go is now'.
- Pilchard the Cat (@reperioverum) February 28, 2017 Farage went to Dulwich College, is former Conservative, & worked in City as commodities broker, and yet brands Carswell "Tory posh boy"??!?
"He's not Ukip. He doesn't believe in our principles".
Mr Reckless was critical of Mr Farage's public pronouncements on the future direction of the party: "Nigel's advice is valuable for Paul in private and he has a huge role for what he has done for our party".
- Transgender athlete Mack Beggs wins Texas state girls wrestling title
- Villarreal v Real Madrid 26 February 2017
- Le'Veon Bell gets the franchise tag from Pittsburgh Steelers
- Analysts At Maxim Group Reiterated Domino's Pizza Incorporated (NYSE:DPZ) As Hold
- Sweden doesn't recognize 'national security adviser' interviewed on Fox News
- Iran, Russia agree to jointly produce nuclear fuel
- TR Property Investment Trust plc's (TRY) "Outperform" Rating Reiterated at Peel Hunt
- 'I won't resign': Corbyn staying put after Copeland by-election fail
- Six Nations - Italy lead England 10-5 at half
- Amal Clooney shows off growing baby bump in STUNNING dress