"I can say, unequivocally, that we want Antonio to retire as a Steeler, just like we want Le'Veon [Bell] to retire as a Steeler", general manager Kevin Colbert said on February 16.
The team announced on Monday that they would use their exclusive franchise tag on Le'Veon Bell, per ESPN's Jeremy Fowler. The team is also working on a contract extension with star wideout Antonio Brown, which could affect Bell's chances of cashing in.
Pittsburgh and Bell will have until July 15 at 4 p.m. ET to work out a long-term contract.
It's the first time the Steelers have used the exclusive rights franchise tender.
French far-right presidential candidate's headquarters raided by police
Dr Helbert said she believes the headscarf incident was a strategic diversion away from corruption claims against Le Pen . Le Pen has proposed extending the 2004 law banning headscarves and other religious symbols in all public spaces.
Bell, 25, stated his case as the game's best running back during an explosive 2016 season, when he averaged 157 yards from scrimmage per game, the third-best clip ever for a running back.
Vikings running back Adrian Peterson will be the highest-paid running back this year at $14 million. Negotiations on a long-term deal are expected to continue and terms could be agreed upon before the start of the 2017 season.
Bell has missed five games because of suspensions in the past two seasons for violations of the National Football League drug policy and also has ended each of the past three seasons injured. If both sides fail to agree to a new contract by that date, then Bell will play under the franchise tag for the 2017 season.
Bell earned just under $1 million in salary last season with a cap number of $1.13 million.
- AMD Ryzen: Pre-order, clockspeeds and pricing you need to know
- Apple Watch Series 3 To Have New Glass-Film Touch Display
- 1 for traffic congestion
- Meet the Smiling Crew of 'Alien
- Exxon Mobil Corporation (NYSE:XOM), Ross Stores, Inc. (NASDAQ:ROST)
- Russia's UN Ambassador Vitaly Churkin dies suddenly
- Stocks Push To Keep Record Streak Alive As Valuations Remain A Concern
- Joel Embiid Out Indefinitely With Knee Injury In Sixers Star's Latest Setback
- Germany: Man hits 3 pedestrians and flees, is shot by police
- 8-Year Old Girl Is Shot And Killed After Traffic Accident