Health officials strongly recommend that students who don't have any record of rubella vaccine (MMR) and decline to be vaccinated should not attend class for 25 days after exposure to mumps.
That group of young adults is more likely to engage in behaviours and activities in which mumps spreads easily, like playing on sports teams where water bottles might be shared, living in dormitories in close conditions and sharing drinks and food in bars, she said.
Public health officials said the risk of infection to the general public is low, but said it's important for people to know the disease is circulating in Toronto. Symptoms include swelling of the salivary glands or lymph nodes in the neck, fever, headaches, muscle aches, fatigue or loss of appetite.
All students, faculty and staff should check with their health care providers to confirm receipt of two doses of the MMR vaccine after their first birthday.
Provost Lauren Robel says IU is taking precautions to stop the spread of mumps by offering immunizations to those who may have been exposed.
Kerala DGP orders inquiry into moral policing of cops
At this point, the couple turned the tables by recording the incident on a phone and going on Facebook live video with it. The cops took the couple to the police station, where they were fined Rs 200 for indulging in "public nuisance".
Mumps can occasionally cause inflammation of the testicles, brain, tissues covering the brain and ovaries as well as deafness.
More than 5,000 cases of the contagious viral illness were reported last year in the United States, the most in 10 years. Treatment provides relief for the symptoms, which should disappear in about a week. The vaccine is part of the MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella) and MMRV (measles, mumps, rubella, and chickenpox) vaccines.
According to a Friday news release, the department is working with University Health Services to investigate both confirmed cases and additional potential cases. Mumps is most likely spread one or two days before and five days after symptoms start.
TPH said those who have symptoms or who have been in contact with someone who has mumps to contact their doctor and inform them before going to their office so they can prepare and protect other patients. Professionals have been in contact with those closely associated with the infected individuals and continue to monitor each situation carefully.
- Fair Work Commission slashes penalty rates
- Toll Brothers beats and raises the low end of its deliveries forecast
- Exxon Mobil Corporation (NYSE:XOM), Ross Stores, Inc. (NASDAQ:ROST)
- After Charleston, Roof went toward second AME church, docs say
- Blizzard drops first hints at next Overwatch character
- Blair defends Guantanamo release for 'Isis bomber'
- South Africa High Court blocks Zuma's ICC withdrawal
- With Instagram's latest update, everyone can share multiple photos in a post
- Mavericks waive point guard Deron Williams
- JK Rowling's support for Muslim campaign to fix Jewish cemetery triples donations