Ann Arbor has been selected as one of 11 markets where Verizon will test its new 5G network, the company announced Wednesday.
Shares of Verizon were slightly higher Wednesday after the wireless carrier said it will start offering 5G pre-commercial services to pilot customers in 11 USA markets during H1. The press release issued by Verizon mentions gigabit home broadband multiple times, so it's clear that the company (and its technology partners) see home and office internet as the immediate application for 5G.
Verizon hasn't said how fast the 5G trial networks will be, but a Verizon video about tests of the technology showed speed readouts over 3Gbps.
Lab tests of pre-standard 5G wireless with multi-gigabit speeds are evolving into trial services that users can actually enjoy in the real world - though not necessarily while walking around with a smartphone.
Writing in a blog post last summer, Former FCC chairman Tom Wheeler said that "5G connectivity will likely be more than an incremental evolutionary step forward in wireless technology".
Interim estimates of 2016-17 seasonal influenza vaccine effectiveness
They feel they have good results and they said it is not too late for people to get the shot. Flu season is in full swing but should calm down around the end of March, beginning of April.
5G enable devices are now being manufactured according to the release along with chipsets and infrastructure products.
The operator is working with partners in its 5G Technology Forum (5GTF) set up in 2015.
The latter point is important to note, because a universal 5G standard does not exist yet. That's faster than the vast majority of people's home broadband network, and more than fast enough to do anything you could dream of on a cellphone.
The 5G trials involve innovative network systems, including the use of 28GHz millimeter wave spectrum and advanced beam-forming antenna technology.
- Search for murdered Boulder woman's missing remains spans several states
- Five die as plane crashes into Melbourne shopping centre
- The Russell Westbrook, Kevin Durant drama remains the story of All-Star weekend
- Officer responding to vehicle crash is shot dead; 2nd officer wounded
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 Leaked Documents Confirm New Feature
- Karolina Pliskova defeats Caroline Wozniacki to win Qatar Open
- Tony Blair calls for people to 'rise up' against Brexit
- Arsenal's Arsène Wenger anxious about Sutton's artificial pitch for FA Cup
- Shia LaBeouf Moving His Anti-Trump Livestream To New Mexico
- Manchester United draw Chelsea away in the FA Cup quarter finals