Danny Cowley saluted Lincoln City's "Premier League supporters" after the Imps caused one of the biggest shocks in FA Cup history by knocking out top-flight Burnley. The Burnley manager had made six changes to the team who drew with Chelsea but his side was stronger than previous rounds and a recognisable Premier League unit. It is also the first time a non-league side advanced to the FA Cup Quarterfinal since 1914 and first time ever in the modern format (1924).
However, Lincoln won the first ever tie between the sides in the FA Cup, an Intermediate Round replay in the 1904-05 edition of the competition. "But we thought if we could get the game plan right we could compete". "To keep a clean sheet and win the game is wonderful".
Only in the final 20 minutes did they start to suffer but up popped Raggett to head the ball past the despairing dive of Burnley keeper Tom Heaton.
A scrappy encounter threatened to boil over in the second half in an incident involving Clarets midfielder Joey Barton, but it was the non-league side who kept their cool as the minutes ticked by.Читайте также: Tiffany Trump happily accepts Whoopi Goldberg's New York Fashion Week invitation
"It was a massive decision to go full time", he told the Daily Mail.
The referee eventually signaled and Lincoln's players celebrated in front of their fans, who totaled 3,210. "It helps having them around and I think he's adapting well to what we are".
The 34-year-old was accused of standing on the foot of Lincoln striker Matt Rhead while marking him from a corner before going down clutching his head after being inadvertently caught by his arm. The lads have done unbelievable.
"We'll celebrate properly at the end of the season if we get to where we want to get to". As the teams got deeper into the match, Burnley began to look a bit desperate and short of confidence as Lincoln continued to dominate large portions of the pitch. Their team's performance against a Premier League side 81 places higher in the football pyramid brought further encouragement to the "Impvasion", as their descent on Burnley was otherwise known. "We are confident if we set up as we have today we can beat anyone".При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2017 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.
Код для вставки в блог
- Milwaukee Bucks: Takeaways From Win Over Detroit Pistons
- Russia Tests Trump With Treaty-Violating Missile Deployment
- Hispanic National Bar Association Praises Acosta for Labor Secretary
- Solange Speaks Out Against Beyoncé's Grammy Awards Snub In Deleted Tweets
- Search for murdered Boulder woman's missing remains spans several states
- A month into presidency, Trump prepares for a campaign rally
- Moto G5 & Moto G5 Plus Smartphones Leaked Ahead of Their Launch
- Auto bomb kills child, injures 15 in southeast Turkey
- Meeting in Astana Seeks Mechanism to Regulate Truce in Syria
- Steve Smith happy to turn up heat on India