President Donald Trump on Thursday nominated Alexander Acosta, who served on the National Labor Relations Board, as his nominee for labor secretary following Andy Puzder's withdrawal. Moreover, given his history of multiple Senate vettings, Acosta is not expected to bring the same surprise scandals that marred the confirmation of Trump's first choice for Labor secretary.
Acosta is a former USA attorney in Miami who served on the National Labor Relations Board in the Bush administration and headed the civil rights section in the Department of Justice.
Most recently, he was the dean of Florida International University College of Law. While majority Republicans until this week had succeeded in confirming every nominee who came for a final vote, Puzder fell to a relentless series of attacks from Democrats, labor and other groups who opposed him on ideological and personal grounds. At least five Republican senators say they want to hear Puzder's explanation for not paying taxes on an undocumented immigrant housekeeper until five years after he fired her, according to The Associated Press.
Henning also appeared in disguise to discuss her experience in a 1990 Oprah episode about domestic violence.
Trump vows to 'very strongly' respond to North Korea
South Korea's defence ministry called it an armed provocation to test the response of US President Donald Trump. It was launched at 7.55am from Banghyon Air base, and flew east towards the Sea of Japan.
Puzder, the CEO of CKE Restaurants, which owns the Hardee's and Carl's Jr. brands, is a vocal critic of President Barack Obama's labor policies and the Fight for $15. If confirmed, Acosta will be the only Hispanic person in Trump's cabinet.
Puzder withdrew his name on Wednesday in the wake of several problems that developed, suggesting that the Trump White House did not do a very complete vetting.
"They're always polite, they always upsell, they never take a vacation, they never show up late, there's never a slip-and-fall, or an age, sex, or race discrimination case", Puzder previously said in an interview with Business Insider. Puzder's ex-wife has since retracted her allegations while Puzder has denied any wrongdoing.
- First flu-related death in Sussex County confirmed
- Appleton gas prices will be on the rise
- Milwaukee Bucks: Takeaways From Win Over Detroit Pistons
- MLB Rumors: Reds Agree To Trade Brandon Phillips To Braves; Return 'Minimal'
- North Korea leader's half-brother and rival is dead in a suspected assassination
- Turkish troops, Syria rebels enter IS-held town of Al-Bab
- Distracted beagle a hit at Westminster Dog Show
- Seahawks won't lose draft pick for concealing Richard Sherman's injury
- Child rights activist Kailash Satyarthi's stolen Nobel Prize replica recovered
- Isro launches record 104 satellites