President Donald Trump on Thursday nominated Alexander Acosta, who served on the National Labor Relations Board, as his nominee for labor secretary following Andy Puzder's withdrawal. Moreover, given his history of multiple Senate vettings, Acosta is not expected to bring the same surprise scandals that marred the confirmation of Trump's first choice for Labor secretary.
Acosta is a former USA attorney in Miami who served on the National Labor Relations Board in the Bush administration and headed the civil rights section in the Department of Justice.
Most recently, he was the dean of Florida International University College of Law. While majority Republicans until this week had succeeded in confirming every nominee who came for a final vote, Puzder fell to a relentless series of attacks from Democrats, labor and other groups who opposed him on ideological and personal grounds. At least five Republican senators say they want to hear Puzder's explanation for not paying taxes on an undocumented immigrant housekeeper until five years after he fired her, according to The Associated Press.
Henning also appeared in disguise to discuss her experience in a 1990 Oprah episode about domestic violence.
Chicago War Zone: 2-Year-Old Killed in 'Targeted' Triple Shooting
Her boyfriend was driving and the toddler, identified as Lavontay White Jr., was sitting in the backseat. Police said Lavontay White Jr. was shot in the head while sitting in the back of a auto .
Puzder, the CEO of CKE Restaurants, which owns the Hardee's and Carl's Jr. brands, is a vocal critic of President Barack Obama's labor policies and the Fight for $15. If confirmed, Acosta will be the only Hispanic person in Trump's cabinet.
Puzder withdrew his name on Wednesday in the wake of several problems that developed, suggesting that the Trump White House did not do a very complete vetting.
"They're always polite, they always upsell, they never take a vacation, they never show up late, there's never a slip-and-fall, or an age, sex, or race discrimination case", Puzder previously said in an interview with Business Insider. Puzder's ex-wife has since retracted her allegations while Puzder has denied any wrongdoing.
- Kenyan private doctors to strike after colleagues jailed
- Toronto Raptors may have just won East with Serge Ibaka Trade
- First flu-related death in Sussex County confirmed
- Donald Trump Spent His Sunday Morning Beefing With Mark Cuban on Twitter
- MLB Rumors: Reds Agree To Trade Brandon Phillips To Braves; Return 'Minimal'
- Russia Tests Trump With Treaty-Violating Missile Deployment
- Seahawks won't lose draft pick for concealing Richard Sherman's injury
- Turkish troops, Syria rebels enter IS-held town of Al-Bab
- Appleton gas prices will be on the rise
- Virginia Judge Rules Trump's Travel Ban Is Based on Religious Bias