The duos performance began to dwindle in South Florida during the 2016 season. He was a healthy scratch in the Dolphins' Week 17 contest. Williams' departure saves the Dolphins $8.5 million.
The former top pick would've cost the Dolphins $10.5 million this season, and the team will take on a $2 million cap hold penalty for letting him go.
It's wonderful how quickly Williams' career has gone by after being taken with the number one overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft.
The ascension of rookie Laremy Tusnil made the move easier for the Dolphins. Mitchell, 29, contributed 40 tackles and no sacks in the 21 games he played the last two seasons.
It's been widely believed that the Dolphins were grooming Tunsil to be their long term answer at left tackle.
Plane Incident Sparks FAA Investigation With Harrison Ford
Harrison Ford almost flew his private plane into a passenger jet at a California airport on Monday, according to NBC News . American Airlines flight 1546 had just been cleared for takeoff minutes prior to Ford's plane passing above the aircraft.
Defensive end Mario Williams, defensive tackle Earl Mitchell and cornerback Ifo Ekpre-Olomu are the other players the Dolphins are set to part ways with.
Still, the Dolphins, which are coming off the franchise's first winning season and playoff appearance since 2008, have enough cap space to aggressively address the team's needs - defensive line, linebacker, offensive guard, tight end - in free agency, and that seems to be owner Steve Ross' plan.
Albert should have plenty of available options on the open market, but Williams' career is on the downtick.
Last season with Miami, Albert played in 12 games, posting a Pro Football Focus grade of 42.2 - the worst of his career.
- Tour bus crashes in Taiwan, at least 32 dead
- Steve Smith happy to turn up heat on India
- Chicago War Zone: 2-Year-Old Killed in 'Targeted' Triple Shooting
- Appleton gas prices will be on the rise
- European Union leader: USA 'committed' to Iran nuclear deal
- Child rights activist Kailash Satyarthi's stolen Nobel Prize replica recovered
- Four Colorado Buffaloes invited to NFL Combine
- MLB Rumors: Reds Agree To Trade Brandon Phillips To Braves; Return 'Minimal'
- Russia Tests Trump With Treaty-Violating Missile Deployment
- Kenyan private doctors to strike after colleagues jailed