Each county saw an increase in gas prices over the last week, with the exception of Hardin County, which saw its prices fall 6 cents.
DeHaan noted that gas usually rises 35-65 cents per gallon from its "low price, usually in February, through Memorial Day, and there's no reason to believe the same won't happen this year, so buckle up".
A gallon of regular was selling for $2.245 in the area, flat with the previous day and down from $2.256 a week ago.
"The increase in USA domestic oil production has helped to counter-balance OPEC's production cuts, sending gas prices down slowly", said Tammy Arnette, Senior Public Affairs Specialist for AAA Mid-Atlantic. This is 8 cents cheaper than last week's average.
Winter Storm Niko Creating Travel Headaches in Northeast, New England
When Thursday's storm departs it will pull colder air into southern New England, with temperatures in the single digits or teens. By Thursday morning, 9 inches of snow had fallen at La Guardia Airport, while parts of New Jersey had up to 6.5 inches of snow.
According to Triple-A the increase can be attributed to global cuts in oil production and the ongoing tensions between the United States and Iran.
At this time in January, prices were about 14 cents higher.
Gas prices in Rockford are down 3.4 cents compared to a week ago.
National averages, which went up slightly this week, will remain steady in the near future until the yearly seasonal upswing as spring approaches, AAA reported.
Get the Sports headlines from the Albany Herald delivered daily to your email.
- Things Families Can Talk About After "The Lego Batman Movie"
- RFK's son to run for IL governor
- Moyes reveals New York City trip for Sunderland... and invites Trump
- Wenger refuses to concede title fight is over
- Tour bus crashes in Taiwan, at least 32 dead
- Facebook Lite reaches more than 200 million users
- After Losing Game, Team Loses Bus
- Donald Trump's Mexico wall 'could cost taxpayers $21.6 billion'
- European Union leader: USA 'committed' to Iran nuclear deal
- Lady Gaga Performing with Metallica at 2017 Grammys